Can anyone identify these power lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of searching for a house, and one I'm looking at has power lines directly behind the house. They are right outside the property line of the backyard, about 75 feet from the back wall of the house. Due to some concerns about living near power lines, I was curious if anyone could identify what type of voltage these carry.

I have doubts that they are as high voltage as the very large metal transmission line structures, but I could be wrong.

Here is a photo of the lines I grabbed from Google streetview (in the middle of the photo):

sFQom11.jpg

There's huge power lines directly behind my house, no issues. In the summer at night you can hear them buzzing a little, probably from all the electricity of people's A/C.

Quote:
Due to some concerns about living near power lines, I was curious if anyone could identify what type of voltage these carry.

What is the specific concern?

Power lines carry power across country at high voltage and then transform down those voltages for homes and factories.

There is no standard with regard to the voltage that would be carried by a High Tension Power Line. There are common voltages, but the number of exceptions are numerous.

However, there is a simple answer. Contact the utility, give the location, they have no reason to hide this information.

Not sure how this solves "some concerns". If you have reservations based on the presence of HT Wires near your property, why haven't you eliminated this property from consideration?

Regardless of my opinion regarding HT Lines and health, you're the one who has to live there.

I don't see how making the decision conditional ... based on the voltage carried ... solves the issue for you. If there is any concern, look elsewhere for your future home. period.

Even if you're neutral to EMF some times of the year you could have hunters and dirtbikes back there. Whether or not you care is up to you. On the flipside you have a sweet place to walk your dog.

There are two issues to consider. One is the risk to you. The other is resale. Nobody really wants to live near these things, so expect resale to be difficult.

Looks like 69KV lines to me, insulators look to large for a common 34.5KV line, and wooden structure of that type along with that spacing would be very peculiar for 138KV.

I would not buy anything near those lines as there are health issues associated with power lines.. We have a member that claims to work on those lines his name is Joe power i believe you could always ask him as he may know.

Originally Posted By: cheetah50
Looks like 69KV lines to me, insulators look to large for a common 34.5KV line, and wooden structure of that type along with that spacing would be very peculiar for 138KV.

Agreed, the line picutred would be a 138KV line. It is a step down from a 235KV, which is the most popular voltage for long distance runs.

Here is a PDF showing standard transmission pole specifications.

http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/UEP_Bulletin_1728F-811.pdf

My ID is you don't want to consider any home with those hideous things in your back yard. Especially at resale time when buyer will pass you on by. Those are major lines to power a large area.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
You are getting more emf from you cellphone and computer than what you get from the power lines.

So a cellphone can light up an array of fluorescent tubes with its field?

Originally Posted By: Danno
The question I would ask, what if they upgrade the lines? What is there today could always be changed as they have the right of way.

Wow, excellent point. I hadn't thought of that. The area is fairly built up though, I imagine the power requirements are already fulfilled enough.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
There is no standard with regard to the voltage that would be carried by a High Tension Power Line. There are common voltages, but the number of exceptions are numerous.

However, there is a simple answer. Contact the utility, give the location, they have no reason to hide this information.

Not sure how this solves "some concerns". If you have reservations based on the presence of HT Wires near your property, why haven't you eliminated this property from consideration?

Regardless of my opinion regarding HT Lines and health, you're the one who has to live there.

I don't see how making the decision conditional ... based on the voltage carried ... solves the issue for you. If there is any concern, look elsewhere for your future home. period.

Wouldn't higher voltage lines seem to be less desirable than a lower voltage?

Originally Posted By: ET16
There are two issues to consider. One is the risk to you. The other is resale. Nobody really wants to live near these things, so expect resale to be difficult.

Resale would be unimportant because whatever I may offer would already reflect the diminished value.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
What health concerns? Cancer?

Possibly. I've read a bit on it. Some say childhood leukemia is a concern, but I have no children. No illnesses are confirmed with high EMF, and is completely absent in extensive testing with mice and rats in labs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back