What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I've got the manual pages from a couple of XR-6 turbos, and Ford clearly have 15W40 for those engines.

I'd still stick to either Penrite Race 10W40 (preferably) or M1 5W50 ... Penrite have a 10-tenths 0W50, but I'm not sure I would go there.

But for a 10,000km oil change, using one of the above synthetics, it's a doddle, and I wouldn't be bothered. Ford offer 10,000 on dino 15W40.

Ok thanks I was just told by someone online last night, I havent even checked my manual to see as it would only state from new, and AFAIK it should change as the engine ages?!

Yes the Penrite oil is 99% the one I will go for at this stage.
Penrite is pretty popular here.

Previous owner was pretty meticulous but it was done every 15,000kms for the majority of its life.
But I am doing 10,000kms changes now.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi Mate,
And welcome !!

Right now SuperCheapAuto is having an oil sale (15 to 26 June).

Thanks mate, good to be here.

Cool, I will check them out asap to see if my local has some in stock.

It's 15% OFF Penrite EveryDay Full Synthetic 10W-40, not sure of the HTHS, but if you email them, they will tell you.

They also have the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing, Full Synthetic 10W-40 on sale. As Shannow said, it's bang on for what you want.

Fixed my typo above.

Penrite is a world class oil, no shame in buying a local product, and it's a good price.

I don't buy Mobil 1 myself, as it's very expensive in Australia. For example M1 0W-40 will cost you about $110- for 5 L. However it is a very well made full synthetic oil, and it is a very well respected oil on this site. If you were to try some M1 I would suggest M1 15W-50, it's rated API SN (American) and ACEA A3/B3 (European), it has a HTHS of 4.5 so a strong oil film, and a high dose of Zinc (anti-wear) at 1300 PPM. In Australia 15W is more than enough for our "cold" starts, but because it's not a 0W or 5W it has less VII (viscosity index improvers) and so should be more shear stable.

Don't get me wrong, I think Penrite 10-Tenths Racing oil is all this too (and then some). Just giving you another option.

And while we are at it, you can often find the full synthetic Valvoline SynPower at good prices in places like SCA, Repco and AutoBarn. They make a SynPower 10W-50 which should work well in your car. I've seen it on sale too at a very decent price
http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-our-...etic-engine-oil

And while we are at it, you can often find the full synthetic Valvoline SynPower at good prices in places like SCA, Repco and AutoBarn. They make a SynPower 10W-50 which should work well in your car. I've seen it on sale too at a very decent price

John Laws is that you?

Thanks, but the Penrite seems to be the choice for me.

I don't think I'd feel right about using the term "cricky" since I'm not Australian.

I will say one thing though: I think it should be spelled "Krikie" like userfriendly spells it order to make the vowel "I" sound like a long "I" instead of a short "I" like "cricket." You know what I mean Vern ?

Originally Posted By: Greatwhite7

John Laws is that you?

Laugh !!! I just sort of remember that add

Good choice on the Penrite.

Nice to have a thread where the choice isn't the usual 0W-20 Vs 5W-20 or the waay too thick ILSAC 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't think I'd feel right about using the term "cricky" since I'm not Australian.

I will say one thing though: I think it should be spelled "Krikie" like userfriendly spells it order to make the vowel "I" sound like a long "I" instead of a short "I" like "cricket." You know what I mean Vern ?

Merk, nobody says Crikey! anymore unless you are on kid's TV or in Church.

We say sh*t or drop the F-bomb. Usually both.

Merk, nobody says Crikey! anymore unless you are on kid's TV or in Church.

We say sh*t or drop the F-bomb. Usually both.

Sometimes we say "crimany," but it's usually an older person that says that. I use "holy smokes" a lot.
grin2.gif

I believe Krikey / Crikey was a modification of a swear word to make it more acceptable. Simular to Darn in the USA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
I believe Krikey / Crikey was a modification of a swear word to make it more acceptable. Simular to Darn in the USA.

That's the way to do it! Put an `e` between the `k` and the `y`. Why didn't I think of that ?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Gene K

That's the way to do it! Put an `e` between the `k` and the `y`. Why didn't I think of that ?
33.gif

Crikey Merk, you spelt it that way the first time, then forgot, and then was surprised when others kept spelling it the correct way.

Shannow, would you say "Crikey" = "Holy Smokes" ?

Is it time for you to start using "crimany" ?

It's 15% off Penrite EveryDay Full Synthetic 10W-40, not sure of the HTHS, but if you email them, they will tell you.

They also have the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing, Full Synthetic 10W-40 on sale. As Shannow said, it's bang on for what you want.

I have previously emailed Penrite about the HTHS of their EveryDay Full synthetics:
Everyday full synthetic 5W-30 = 2.9
Everyday full synthetic 10W-40 = 4.0

And from Shannow:
10-Tenths 5W-30 HTHS = 3.34
10-Tenths 10W-40 HTHS = 4.49

I have previously emailed Penrite about the HTHS of their EveryDay Full synthetics:
Everyday full synthetic 5W-30 = 2.9
Everyday full synthetic 10W-40 = 4.0

And from Shannow:
10-Tenths 5W-30 HTHS = 3.34
10-Tenths 10W-40 HTHS = 4.49

Thanks I also spoke to them but had not received this info.
At least they gave it to someone.

cheers

Originally Posted By: Greatwhite7
Would this oil be any good:

Penrite HPR 10 Engine Oil - 10W-50

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=2

No one has recommended it but its a lot cheaper so at least thought I would ask before I buy something tomorrow.

Hi GreatWhite,

I like the Penrite HPR series, I have used a lot of it over the years, and always with good results.

It's their older style of performance oil, with the Penrite "extra ten". Meaning it should be a 10W-40 but they have dosed it up and made it a 10W-50. That use to impress me a lot, but I now see that it has a heavier VII (viscosity index improver) polymer load, which I try and avoid now days. It's a Group III full synthetic.

HPR is definitely a good oil, but their 10-Tenths Racing is definitely a better oil (low VII load, with better base stock - PAO & Ester). But that difference is reflected in price.

Given that you were originally talking about using imported American Royal Purple, which must cost a pretty penny in Oz, I would spend up on the 10-Tenths.

If you needed to save a bit of money, I would go a dual rated HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) 15W-40. These are diesel truck oils (heavy duty) that are also rated for petrol cars (dual rated).

They should be spec'd API CI-4 / SL or CI-4+ / SL or CJ-4 / SM or ACEA E7 or E9 (The SL or SM, needs to be there for it to be car safe).

Some good examples are Caltex Delo 400 15W-40 (blue bottle) and Castrol RX Super 15W-40 (white bottle). You should be able to pick these up at a good price, and they have high HTHS, high TBN and are very shear stable. Truckers don't mess around with weak oils.

Shannow may drop around and offer more advice.

BTW Nice Car !! A Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo charged in-line 6 cylinder is a great car. Auto or manual ?

I now see that it has a heavier VII (viscosity index improver) polymer load, which I try and avoid now days. It's a Group III full synthetic.

HPR is definitely a good oil, but their 10-Tenths Racing is definitely a better oil (low VII load, with better base stock - PAO & Ester).

BTW Nice Car !! A Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo charged in-line 6 cylinder is a great car. Auto or manual ?

Automatic which means I am a little restricted as to which mods I can do as the tranny is only good to about 250rwkw.

Ok thanks, looks like the racing ten is the way to go.

Good to get some detailed feedback on the two.

Just a reminder, it's not a bad choice (HPR 10), as it was on the list that Shannow gave:

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I've got the manual pages from a couple of XR-6 turbos, and Ford clearly have 15W40 for those engines.

As to the Oil suppliers recommendations
Castrol Edge 0W40, or Magnatec 10W40 (see my comments re HTHS)
Mobil Mobil 1 0W40, or Mobil S2000 X2
Penrite HPR10 full synthetic (10W50), or semi synth 15W40
Shell chicken out, and want a phone call
(Liqui)moly SUPER LEICHTLAUF 10W-40, TOURING HIGH TECH 15W-40
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE SAE 5W-40
Valvoline VALVOLINE PROFESSIONAL SERIES 15W-40, Engine Armour 15W40

Your Ford engine is unique to Australia, so the recommendations look strange to O/S viewers.

I'd still stick to either Penrite Race 10W40 (preferably) or M1 5W50 ... Penrite have a 10-tenths 0W50, but I'm not sure I would go there.

We just both prefer the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 10W-40.

It's a great oil, but I don't have enough car to run it, but you do. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back