15-40 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can't let it bug you that you have consumption and others don't. You'll go crazy.
wink.gif
We had taxis all with the same engines and obviously similar usage patterns, and some burned oil, some never did. If you feel like trying another grade to see what it does with consumption, there's nothing wrong with that at all. If it were me, I'd go for the 15w-40 before the 10w-40, but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
I didnt know they had a new one. I'm not sure what I'm going to try yet. I got a oil change coming up in about 500 miles though. What bugs me is that I see lots of other trucks same motor same miles or more or little less with no oil usage. I have changed my oil religiously since I bought this truck new.

I think your engine is doing OK, considering the miles. Once my Camaro topped 200k, oil consumption started increasing. It's now at 2000 mi per quart at 246k miles. GM considers 2000 miles per quart as the low limit of acceptability for new engines. (Never mind that dealers will say 1000 miles per quart is acceptable on new engines. They're full of it.)

A Harman,

Good job on getting some distance from the Camaro. I had a 97 that I drove from about 36k- to about 70k. During this time, a friend of mine bought a new 02 35th (I had a 30th) and he recently sold it with about your mileage.

I like seeing V8 sportscars/musclecar go the distance!

I regularly switch all my cars and trucks up to Del400 15W-40 at around 150,000 unless they start consuming earlier... They all quiet down and they all slow consumption. A few in the back yard have over 225,000 and the truck C-20 has over 300,000
smile.gif

Delo and Delvac are great "fleet" oils for older high mileage vehicles, and are cheaper than Maxlife 10W-40
smile.gif

I was at my local walmart yesterday and all the Mobil Super Oil was on clearance for $13 a jug. Even the high mileage all grades.

Well I bought me another jug of the 5-30 Super extended life. I may try something else in the next OCI. I got it because at my Walmart it was marked to $13

Yes I done this because I still have 1/2 jug of the 5-30. By the time I use my new jug and a quart out of this one and top the oil off during the OCI I will be out of it. Then I will get some 10-40 or 15-40.

Well on my current oil change I got 633 miles and I just had to add 3/4 of a quart of the Mobil Super 5w-30. Seems like a lot to me. I also smell antifreeze now to but cant locate any leaks or where its coming from. Just over 214,000 miles on engine now. Just got transmission rebuilt.

Yea I started smelling antifreeze bad about 4 days ago. Only a little bit gone out of the overflow jug which is the only place to fill it on this truck. I figure it might be water pump since its never been changed.

5.3's are famous for burning oil. I don't think 15w-40 will solve this. I'd try a high mileage 5w-30, that may help a bit. 15w-40 is a lot of work to pump when it's cold, I don't think oil pumps in gas engines are designed to push oil that thick around when it's cold, it basically turns into molasses at anything below 20 degrees outside.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Oh, Also, to answer your question, being here in Arkansas, I would Imagine 15w40 wouldn't hurt at all. Especially during the summer.

My thought also....the 15w40 will be fine in the summer, and might help slow the usage. Winter is another story, might scale it back to a 10w40 since it gets to freezing.

I would first switch to a different high mileage oil then go up in grade, personally.

My vote is switching to Pennzoil High Mileage 5-30 and if it still consumes then go with a thicker grade.

Thanks for all the reply's. I will try a different oil at the OCI. I think it burns way more now than when I used Max Life 5w30. Is there anything I can add to it on this OCI when the oil is down a half quart or so?

Arkansas does not get that cold most of the year. 213K and that engine is plenty loose enough to pass 15W-40 easily. Try it and see if it helps? Try a few brands as they do not all act the same in gas engines. I like Delo most of the time, but have had very good luck with Delvac slowing consumption in some engines
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Arkansas does not get that cold most of the year. 213K and that engine is plenty loose enough to pass 15W-40 easily. Try it and see if it helps? Try a few brands as they do not all act the same in gas engines. I like Delo most of the time, but have had very good luck with Delvac slowing consumption in some engines
smile.gif

+1 it is worth a try and doesn't cost much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back