Best synthetic oil for cleaning out an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra are supposed to be the top tier oils for keeping engines clean. Run one of them, can't go wrong with either, both are exceptional oils.

Oh no, not a mono grade ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: anylettuce
Is there any synthetic oil that cleans out an engine better than others?
Like pennzoil platinum might clean better than mobil1.
What exactly do you want to clean out?

Originally Posted By: CT8

In short anything that had built up or can be removed by the cleaners.
Ideally I would like to say use a more expensive synthetic if can clean the engine out then switch to a normal price synthetic down the road.
Typically depending on the circumstances I pull the valve cover on my vehicle every 5-6 years to take a look. Same time I check if possible the carbon buildup on the Pistons.
To me a clean engine is a happy engine not leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

Originally Posted By: CT8

In short anything that had built up or can be removed by the cleaners.
Ideally I would like to say use a more expensive synthetic if can clean the engine out then switch to a normal price synthetic down the road.
Typically depending on the circumstances I pull the valve cover on my vehicle every 5-6 years to take a look. Same time I check if possible the carbon buildup on the Pistons.
To me a clean engine is a happy engine not leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

Tig1 uses M1 @ 10k mile intervals and his internals are spotless. I use Amsoil in up to 12k intervals in the Wrangler, and the internals are spotless. Both of these backed up with pictures, and I am sure there is documentation from other oils also. Pick your synthetic and use it at a proper interval and you will not have to pull your valve covers to check ever again.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 High Mileage, take your pick. I doubt it matters much after a few runs of either. I've had luck with using Rislone with a good conventional oil as well...

Too bad we don't have any pictures as to your concern. But as to a more expensive synthetic you could choose Amsoil, Ultra or the Redline for a time. If you were to use MMO, drop in up to a quart up to 1,000mi before an oil change. Just my 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back