Neons/Calibers becoming the new Crown Vic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a ton of Impalas, Taurus's, Grandam's. In the rural area I'm in also brings a TON of 1997-2003 F-150's, 1998-2002 Silverado's and 1993-2001 Dodge Rams at the high schools.

I have also seen, though not as common, a lot of Tiburons and Eagles showing up around schools as well.

Most of those school parked cars are what the parents give their kids to drive. Those models you mention have been discontinued some time ago and are being scrapped. As far as durability, A caliber or Neon will not come close to a Crown Vic or Gran Marquis.They are the "Bic" lighters of the car world.

New Crown Vics (as well as Merc Marquis, Lincoln town car) are no longer being made.

Unless they want to keep the old ones on the road, Cab & livery companies, as well as parent's handing down cars to their Kids had to find a different model.

Honda_HR_V___Studio_PLACEMENT.jpg

dodge-caliber-07.jpg

I still think the Caliber looks pretty good, and I don't really get all the hate for them. Maybe they were 5-6 years too early? Inside they seemed to be as good as anything else in its class?
They didn't do anything well, but alot of cars don't do anything well. I'd probably rather drive an AWD Caliber than an HRV or Chevy Trax anyways.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I still think the Caliber looks pretty good, and I don't really get all the hate for them. Maybe they were 5-6 years too early? Inside they seemed to be as good as anything else in its class?
They didn't do anything well, but alot of cars don't do anything well. I'd probably rather drive an AWD Caliber than an HRV or Chevy Trax anyways.

They were gawd awful vehicles. It was like the entire Chrysler "Caliber" team said "it's not my job, lets go get some hookers and blow" and left for the day... for 10 straight months.

The hate comes from them dumping the neon so they were not a good small economy car. Fuel economy could not really scratch 30mpg out of a 1.8L. How in the heck do you manage to mess up a 1.8/2.0 with a CVT and only get sub 30s? The "stepped over" the corpse of the PT Cruiser and was not really a decent CUV either. The hatch was useless, the interior was rubbish. The interior was so bad I am sure rental agencies made lemon-law claims against it. It was neither a decent car nor a decent CUV. The Jatco CVT was horrific. At least you could get the "Jeep" version with the Patriot/Compass for an interesting "look".

Look at the competition. The Vibe/Matrix was far better. Fit came out. Ford eventually released the Fiesta/Focus Hatches. If you wanted one that was assembled correctly, you could get the Mitzu counterparts. Reliability was something out of the Soviet Russia.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant for reliability and was wondering what planet the OP just arrived from.

Then I saw it was for commonality.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
When I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant for reliability and was wondering what planet the OP just arrived from.

Neons were pretty reliable. For the first 30,000 miles before the head gasket and transmission replacements started.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Neons were pretty reliable. For the first 30,000 miles before the head gasket and transmission replacements started.

As much as I despise my roommates 02 SOHC 2.0L Neon, I can see why that engine could fill a "First Car" niche.
As much work as he has done, as well as I, it is a perfect car to teach your 15/16 year old kid how to work on, once you fix something and the CEL goes off, and you drive 5 miles, the CEL is back on with something else needing replaced/fixed..
So, yes, I can see why this would be considered a decent first car for a teenager to learn how to respect and maintain their wheels.

Police Crown Vics have mostly been replaced by Impalas, Chargers, RAMs, and Explorers, both in my hometown in florida and here in Texas.
I think I have seen Texas Ranger Durangos as well...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd probably rather drive an AWD Caliber than an HRV or Chevy Trax anyways.

IF they would have offered an SRT-4 version with AWD in manual, it would have been a cool little ride!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back