Not sure whats going on with Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of my job is to find parts for customers cars. We all like to pick on certain auto parts chains for one reason or another. But PB takes the cake today.

I'm looking for a brand new AC compressor with clutch for a 95 Chevy suburban. Must be a zillion of these trucks still running around here in SoCal.

A-Zone, Napa and Orileys have it in stock. I call Pep Boys and its 5 days away in some eastern state.This does me no good when I have a family of 7 in my waiting room!

And it's not just a fluke. It's very often PB does not have what we need in stock and must be ordered.

Is PB trying to turn into a special order only place? Seems like any part other than a filter,belt or spark plug must be ordered when dealing with PB.

They don't even have the compressor in any other store nearby that they can transfer it to get it.

I pretty much gave up on calling them for parts since they never have anything.

Mirrors my recent experiences at Pep Boys as well. They didn't have a valve cover gasket for a 1NZ Toyota engine locally. Would have had to order from a warehouse in Atlanta.

The 1NZ was in lots of Priuses, ECHO, Yaris, xB, xA... not a rare engine.

A friend's power steering pump gave up on his 4 cylinder Cherokee - PB was the only place to have a power steering pump for a 4 cylinder Cherokee.

Their Prices and parts quality/Availability turned me away from them years ago! I stop in on occasion for a cash and carry tire deal and thats about it.

The chain was just purchased by a well known businessman. I mentioned this to an employee and she said she had heard that news but knew/heard nothing else.

I think it's just common sense that the ownership of a number of brick and mortar stores wouldn't want to risk accumulating a bunch of parts. Also, I doubt "cracker jack" service was never their bag in the first place.

Pep Boys Hackensack, NJ store actually had a front axle for my Volvo in its stock. Turns out it was a special order someone failed to pick up. Their loss, my gain. I'd bet that kind of slow service (the guy 9 miles from NYC who decided he didn't want to wait for an axle going somewhere else and walking away from his Pep Boys "special order") was their hallmark.

When the Hackensack store opened an employee who had worked all over the County told me the service department was a complaint ridden sewer and warned me not to go there.
Cash and carry for me too.
They mail me an oil special occasionally. I go buy the oil specials because they're good and I want to be on the successor's mailing list for any grand opening sale. Kira

I live life pretending that Pep Boys doesnt exist except on Black Fridays when they have always had a few decent deals.

With Carl Ichan's purchase,Pep Boys will be rebranded as "Auto Plus" eventually.Maybe they are letting inventory drop before the changeover??

I've been meaning to get over there and pick up some 5 gallon bucket seats, but I keep forgetting for some reason. Pep Boys doesn't seem to be on on my radar much anymore. Thanks for reminding me Chris.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
With Carl Ichan's purchase,Pep Boys will be rebranded as "Auto Plus" eventually.Maybe they are letting inventory drop before the changeover??

I vote it get rebranded "Autos Plus Hopefully Some Parts Back There"

Years ago I had a '95 Vette (x-brace installed), around 2003 I took it to Pep Boys for a four wheel alignment. Big mistake. It plowed the outer edge of the tires in corners they had so much positive camber on the fronts. Ended up calling it a learning experience and took the car to a real shop that had a Hunter setup and a tech that knew how to set high performance alignments. Car was a weapon in the twisties after that.

WOW, anyone who brings his 'Vette to a Pep Boys for anything is a trusting soul. Glad you got it sorted.

Don't be surprised if there is a solid separation between the retail store and the service bays at the new "Auto-Plus" (or whatever it'll be called).

It'll be interesting to see how the advertising is targeted. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back