OIl filter holes too small on Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OIL CAN OCD. I had it bad.
Therapy found here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
The whole nature of a 'full flow' oil filter is that what goes in at rate X also comes out at the same rate X. Of course, if the bypass valve opens up, then what goes out isn't 100% filtered.

Besides, it isn't like black dirty oil goes in and out comes super clean oil only to repeat. The oil flows round and round all the time, so the incoming 'dirty' oil is only slightly dirtier than the 'clean' oil going out--I bet you couldn't tell the difference if you put both in glass jars and held them up to the light.

Granted, most engines aren't real dirty and you probably couldn't actually see it filtering even if you could like in the video below. However, it would depend on the size of the particles and the efficiency of the filter involved.

Here's a cool video showing how a super efficient filter cleans up the oil - black going in, clear coming out.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Even if the base plate holes total area is a bit less, all it would do is increase the delta-p across the filter a hair (1 or 2 psi at the most). The flow rate would not be reduced if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump.

But as others have pointed out, the total flow area of the base plate holes is more than the area of the mounting spud on the engine, so no worries.

Is unfiltered oil flowing in going to flow the same as filtered oil coming out?

Don't quite get your question. The whole nature of a 'full flow' oil filter is that what goes in at rate X also comes out at the same rate X. Of course, if the bypass valve opens up, then what goes out isn't 100% filtered. But if the bypass valve stays closed, then the oil going out is 100% filtered.

I'm worried that the flow going in is more restricted because of particulate matter.

I'm worried that the flow going in is more restricted because of particulate matter.

If 1 gallon flows in, then 1 gallon flows out - only cleaner.

Don't quite get your question. The whole nature of a 'full flow' oil filter is that what goes in at rate X also comes out at the same rate X. Of course, if the bypass valve opens up, then what goes out isn't 100% filtered. But if the bypass valve stays closed, then the oil going out is 100% filtered.

Worth noting that the XG5 has no bypass at all, so the oil coming out is always 100% filtered.
wink.gif

You're a GM owner. You should know better! :finger:

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Worth noting that the XG5 has no bypass at all, so the oil coming out is always 100% filtered.
wink.gif

grin.gif

Yes, I know about GMs and thier 'in block' bypass valve.
grin.gif
Yes the XG5 might always filter 100% of the oil going through IT, but not necessarily filtering 100% of the oil going to the engine if the in block bypass opens.

If the holes are smaller isn't more pressure required to force the oil through the filter? Therefore the pressure of the oil exiting the filter will be decreased due to more resistance.

Although the same amount of oil is flowing the flow will be slower.

If the holes are smaller isn't more pressure required to force the oil through the filter? Therefore the pressure of the oil exiting the filter will be decreased due to more resistance.

Like has been shown many times, the total area of the base holes are always more than the area of the oil flow hole in the center of filter's engine mounting spud. I don't think anyone has ever found a case where the base plate hole area is smaller than the spud flow area.

Sure, if you were to make them super small then the pressure drop across the filter would go way up. But even those holes that you think are "too small" are not causing any significant pressure drop.

Although the same amount of oil is flowing the flow will be slower.

Actually, with a constant oil flow (which there would be due the positive displacement oil pump), the velocity will increase if the flow area decreases.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

wink.gif

grin.gif

Yes, I know about GMs and thier 'in block' bypass valve.
grin.gif
Yes the XG5 might always filter 100% of the oil going through IT, but not necessarily filtering 100% of the oil going to the engine if the in block bypass opens.

I was just knocking your marbles.
wink.gif

So long as the inlet flow outpaces the outlet flow - all is well. And since the Ultra uses a synthetic media which should out-flow a basic cellulose - I'd have zero concern about the base-plate hole size. The XG2 that my wife's Fusion takes has smaller holes compared to other brands, but it also has EIGHT holes total -vs- SIX such as on the MC FL820s and WIX comparable.

Don't feel bad. I bought the same filter for my Chevy 4.3. When I opened the box I thought the same thing. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back