a thumbs-up for USPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't a "failed" service. It delivers vital communication information needed for a modern society to flourish. Cheap at twice the price. By your definition of "failed" our military is the most colossal boondoggle of all time! $600 billion down a rat hole every year!

Quote:
Government loves you.

You should check out living in some countries without a functional postal service. You might appreciate it more. I have lived in such a place for an extended period of time. Need to pay a bill--you either carry the payment to the location or hire a courier at great expense to do it. Notices from the government about important things? Check out various bulletin boards around town for notices. Send a present to Mom for her birthday? Forget about it--no way to do it. Need to get something valuable delivered? You've got to pick it up yourself at a central freight office, and it better be worth it because the price is very high--think like $50 for a small priority mail sized box. Even in our country there are a lot of little towns in odd places that aren't served by UPS or Fedex. The only way to get anything is via the USPS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
It receives no federal monies.

Last year it received 5.5 billion dollars from the Feds to cover its operating expenses (losses).

Just pointing out (again) that for all practical purposes the USPS is another failed government service. Delivering a "service" at outlandish costs without any need to improve.

http://postalnews.com/blog/2015/05/09/postal-myths-2-the-usps-is-not-a-government-agency/

By federal monies, I meant federal subsidies. The $5.5 billion you refer to must be a loan, necessitated in part by Congress insisting that the USPS pre-fund it's future retiree benefits, the only federal entity that is required to do so, at a cost of about $7 billion a year.

The Postal Service has plenty of faults, but sucking down taxpayer money is not one of them.

I hear a lot of people moan and gripe about it, but at least around here the US Postal Service does an outstanding job. But then, UPS and FedEx also do an excellent job.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
UPS and FedEx basically scoop up the cream while the Postal Service is mandated to serve every square mile of the U.S.

^Truth.

Not to mention that UPS and FedEX hand off a lot of their deliveries to the USPS to finish the job.

Yesterday I had an Amazon package delivered. Sunday. By the USPS. I'm not a Prime member, I didn't pay extra for expedited shipping, in fact I paid nothing since my order was over $49 (well nothing additional).

The USPS isn't perfect, but I'm not going to bash them for the few missteps they've taken when servicing me.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
It isn't a "failed" service. It delivers vital communication information needed for a modern society to flourish. Cheap at twice the price. By your definition of "failed" our military is the most colossal boondoggle of all time! $600 billion down a rat hole every year!

You must be one of the three people that still mail letters....

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor

You must be one of the three people that still mail letters....

Exactly.I can easily live without the P.O.

never had a problem with any carrier.

USPS, UPS, DHL, Fedex.

Never.

Don't have a preference, I just ship based on cost. Bought a postal scale and print out at my own house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back