DELVAC 1 ESP vs. Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not likely. Try pulling 80K over the Grapevine is summer. Yeah, big rigs have oil coolers and maybe some tricks that smaller engines don't, but their service life is just harsh ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Not likely. Try pulling 80K over the Grapevine is summer. Yeah, big rigs have oil coolers and maybe some tricks that smaller engines don't, but their service life is just harsh ...

Done all 48, most of provinces of Canada, and Alaska. Got the worn out T shirt. Grapevine is not the only grade in America, and certainly not the worse.

Forgot to mention in that... all the pickup diesels have coolant supplied oil coolers just like the heavy truck engines. There is no appreciable difference. So the argument that the smaller pickup diesels do not have the advantages of the heavy diesels is moot when it comes to oil temps. PStroke, Dmax, Cummins, take your pick.. all have coolant supplied oil coolers just like the big rig engines. Only the gasser motors use ambient air oil coolers.

I did three mountain passes yesterday with an empty Dmax pickup.
Grand Forks, BC to Castlegar, Salmo to Creston and Sparwood to the Alberta boarder at the top of the Crow's Nest.
Pulling those long grades, perhaps a little over the posted speed limit at times was fun, and gave the little 6.6L a much needed work-out.
With SAE40 in the crankcase, I never worried about the oil. The engine could pull all those hills in 5th gear @ 2,300 rpm.
The ambient was between 0C and 10C all night.
That same truck, loaded pulling a trailer on a hot summer day?
I would be a little puckered with 10W30 to be honest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Forgot to mention in that... all the pickup diesels have coolant supplied oil coolers just like the heavy truck engines. There is no appreciable difference. So the argument that the smaller pickup diesels do not have the advantages of the heavy diesels is moot when it comes to oil temps. PStroke, Dmax, Cummins, take your pick.. all have coolant supplied oil coolers just like the big rig engines. Only the gasser motors use ambient air oil coolers.

On an unrelated note, that's part of why I stay on top of my engine coolant maintenance like a maximum security prison guard.

I lost an internal block-mounted engine oil cooler on one of my NPR HD trucks. What a mess! I was so p'd off I nearly bucked replacing it, and wanted to do an oil/air bypass so it would never happens again (like I do with coolant/oil transmission coolers).

They're some BIG coolers too. Not at all like those little donut things you see on gas engines.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I did three mountain passes yesterday with an empty Dmax pickup.
Grand Forks, BC to Castlegar, Salmo to Creston and Sparwood to the Alberta boarder at the top of the Crow's Nest.
Pulling those long grades, perhaps a little over the posted speed limit at times was fun, and gave the little 6.6L a much needed work-out.
With SAE40 in the crankcase, I never worried about the oil. The engine could pull all those hills in 5th gear @ 2,300 rpm.
The ambient was between 0C and 10C all night.
That same truck, loaded pulling a trailer on a hot summer day?
I would be a little puckered with 10W30 to be honest.

The Powerstroke guys seem to do really well with 10/30. I have yet to find any solid info on how my "small" diesels would do with 10/30, so I've left it alone, for the most part.

When Dmax upped the power rating, the 10W30 option disappeared from the manual.
With manual transmission applications, the power is reduced.

I'm worried that if the oil pressure is reduced from a lower viscosity oil, piston cooling may be compromised.

My plain bearing pucker-point is 3.5 and lower.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
When Dmax upped the power rating, the 10W30 option disappeared from the manual.
With manual transmission applications, the power is reduced.

I'm worried that if the oil pressure is reduced from a lower viscosity oil, piston cooling may be compromised.

My plain bearing pucker-point is 3.5 and lower.

Actually thinner viscosity would help piston cooling. It's a Reynolds number thing.

But thinner viscosity lowers oil film thickness in the bearings.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Actually thinner viscosity would help piston cooling. It's a Reynolds number thing.

As long as the pressure/density in the nozzles delivers the right flow rate through the squirters.

There's a BITOG school of thought that you drop the viscosity to the min recommended oil pressure...that drops cooling nozzle flow rate, and I don't think incremental convective heat transfer makes up for whole percents of reduced mass flow.

$84 a gallon is ridiculous. I pay about $35 a gallon for my D1 SHC which has about 60% higher TBN and 25% more zinc.
Charlie

There may be some argument to be had regarding pressure and such with a lower vis oil. Compared to 15w40 in my Detroit, the 10w30 I am using only dropped 2 PSI across the spectrum. And iron, lead, tin, chromium, aluminum, etc are all the same or lower with the 10w30. So far lower, but only by about a few points. Nothing earth shattering. But the 10w30 is holding viscosity loss over time much better. And TBN depletion is not as much over similar time frames compared to 15w40. Same brand of both oils, both syn blend, same test lab, so comparison sound.

TDT truck is targeted at light duty pickups. D1 is targeted at everything from small diesel engines to class 8 truck engines and all things in between!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back