How long before oil turns black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: leeaspell
Had an oil change done recently on a 2012 ram 3500 with the cummins. Picked the truck up, drove the 3km home and checked the oil, it was as black as what was in it when I brought it there. I know it's a diesel and they turn the oil black fairly quickly, but that seemed really quick.
Both fords I've owned, a 6.4 and 6.7 would take about 1500km before it was as black as this stuff.
I have a 2005 Ram Cummins,and it turns black as soon as its started after an oil change has since it was new.113,000 miles and runs like a scalded cat.
smile.gif

I've never owned a Dodge pickup with a Cummins motor or a PSD Ford, but I've owners F-250 HD's with the 6.9, and 7.3 diesel motors, and the oil in both would turn black within a day or two after an oil and oil filter change. What you're seeing sounds completely normal to me.

I did all my pm's myself, and I was pretty OCD about draining out the old oil; maybe a drop coming out a few times over a minute's time, before putting the drain plug back in, and adding the new oil.

I used mostly Delo 400 in both motors; I used Phillips Super HD-II, as well for about the last year I owned my 7.3, and the Phillips HDEO reacted exactly the same as the Delo; it turned black just as fast.

I'm a Truck Driver, and I've noticed this about the three big name diesel motors in Class 8 Semi Trucks:

Cummins ISX Motors: After a pm service, the oil was as black within the first day of operating it.

Detroit DD15 and Series 60 motors: The new oil stayed translucent for a couple of days before turning black.

Caterpillar 3406 and C15 motors: The oil stayed translucent for several days before turning black.

I hope this helps, and if it looks like you have a new filter(or filters)on your Cummins, I believe your oil was indeed changed.

Last edited:
Normal on Cummins, I rarely see Cummins that aren't like this. Once in a blue moon you get those really clean ones but 9/10 they turn the oil black instantly. I've even filled them with oil and checked the level before starting and it was black already! I don't know why they do this, but it always felt off to me. They must be okay though, they seem to go for several hundred thousand miles like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back