How do you guys do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read all these post with you guys talking about trying a different oil or having a stash of new oil you want to try. How do refrain from not getting it in right away. I just decided to get away from many years of nothing but Valvoline and picked up a jug of Mobile 5000 and while I'm not due for the OC until the end of the month I about can't stand it. Not sure I can make it!

Dont waste good oil! Patience! I feel your pain tho
smile.gif

No sense wasting good oil just to try something new.
I speak as one with a 300+ qt stash, but seven vehicles as well.
No oil can prove its worth on a short drain.

Worry about other things. I don't think about changing oil until the time comes. Even if I try something new.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm not due for the OC until the end of the month I about can't stand it. Not sure I can make it!

Just look at the oil bottles/jugs in you stash and say "I'm good for X number of years" then smile and walk away.

My FIL gets a case of carquest 10w30, two filters, and does both cars every eight months. Then he has no oil "in stock" until it happens again.

Motor Oil OCD. It's why we're here. You want to put it in to see how the engine sounds and responds on it. To us with Motor Oil OCD it's more of a magic elixir than a normal maintenance lubricant. We want to explore it in much the same way a wine connoisseur eyes that bottle he recently acquired, yearning to uncork it and experience it.

Yeah, it's kind of like that.

Maybe find some other cars to do oil changes on and you'll get that out of your system pretty quick.

I don't look forward to oil changes. In fact, I put them off more and more now.

I typically don't buy oil until a few days before I actually need it. This way I'm not tempted to pour it in too soon, although I am typically good at sticking to my schedule which is once a year in my case.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm not due for the OC until the end of the month I about can't stand it. Not sure I can make it!

The struggle is real !!
thumbsup2.gif

Hang in there.. you can do it
grin.gif

Well stated LoneRanger. I like exploring different oils as well. I've found the best fit for my lady's Camry in trying different oils in it. Ford Motorcraft is by far the best in terms of running much quieter. So, that car is getting that from now on. Now my Altima has run very well on Castrol 0w30, Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30, Castrol gold bottle EP 5w30, and Pennzoil Gold Dexos blend. But I'm wanting to try Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Valvoline Maxlife 5w30, and QSGB or even Formula Shell 5w30. Always a sale to be had somewhere. Or even regular prices at Wally world or Home Depot. So, this makes this fun and cheap to do too.

I get a great deal of personal satisfaction out of gazing at my stash stored on a shelf in the garage. Gives me a warm fuzzy.

How do I do it? I realized that oil doesn't matter!

What? Blasphemy!

No, if you follow your owner's manual on oil type and change interval, that's it. The sooner you can get yourself past overthinking your motor oil, the sooner you can get back to the things in life that are actually important.

None of my vehicles have told me anything about what oil they "like". Without a Blackstone you might as well use olive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back