Cera Tec for DP Camshaft break-in period

Status
Not open for further replies.
would anyone know if i could use Cera Tec as a break-in additive instead of ZDDP for breaking in
a VW PD camshaft?

Originally Posted By: minis
would anyone know if i could use Cera Tec as a break-in additive instead of ZDDP for breaking in
a VW PD camshaft?

YES and MAYBE!

If in doubt, read the instructions:
CERATEC PDS
Umm, it does not say if you can use it for break inns or not, so it's best to use their contact form to see if they recommend a high Moly oil, or their Moly additive:

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_contact_person.html

Here's a response I received directly from Liqui-Moly, but admittedly it is specifically for my 79 year old engine:

"Cera Tec does not fit into this scheme for two reasons: First, Cera Tec is suited for modern engines - our MoS2 Anti Friction Additive offers a similar functionality and is far better suited for older engines. Secondly, mixing the MoS2 Additive with Cera Tec is not a good idea. You have chosen exactly the two best products for your Alvis." (Motor Oil Saver and MoS2)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vintageant
Here's a response I received directly from Liqui-Moly, but admittedly it is specifically for my 79 year old engine:

"Cera Tec does not fit into this scheme for two reasons: First, Cera Tec is suited for modern engines - our MoS2 Anti Friction Additive offers a similar functionality and is far better suited for older engines. Secondly, mixing the MoS2 Additive with Cera Tec is not a good idea. You have chosen exactly the two best products for your Alvis." (Motor Oil Saver and MoS2)

Thanks and they really should add that info to their PDS. LM are a great company and their products do exactly what they say, which is a big difference from most oil and additive mixers.

i was thinking about adding the RedLine Oil Additive but i thought about how Cera Tec protect the metal surface so i thought i would ask what people thought about it too

Originally Posted By: minis
I was thinking about adding the RedLine Oil Additive but i thought about how Cera Tec protect the metal surface so i thought i would ask what people thought about it too

Yeabut, the Ceratec will give lower wear figures during breakin than almost any other additive, BUT that means it will slow down the process until at least 100K km. During the break period the driver should try to avoid too much time at idle or more than Max continuous (About 1K below red line). It's also good to vary the RPM during long trips and to avoid dumping the oil early.
So, the typical owner driver is not going to want a car that has advisory RPM restrictions. They want to cruise the city streets, leave the engine at idle for ages when required AND slam the Go pedal around.

I would note that most modern cars do not need a real break in period beyond the first OCI and can even use just a good major brand full synthetic, although they are often high Moly oils.
Oddly enough Fuchs (They are the refinery related company that is the major stock holder in Liqui Moly) are currently top dog of special break in oils for fairly racy German car factory fill applications. Those oils do like like some of the Redlines oils.

This is the answer i got from LIquiMoly

Dear Mr.,

thank you very much for contacting us and your interest in our LIQUI MOLY products.

Yes, mix Cera Tec with the engine oil in a mixing ration of approx. 7%.

We hope we could help you with our informations. Should you have further questions regarding our products we would be very pleased to get contacted from you again.

Best regards

i. A. Steffen Niemietz
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-658
Mobil: +49 162 2815064
Fax: +49 731 1420-44658

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4, D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Status