Anyone Using Spline Sockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: kb27
A couple of times I used the spline on a stuck hex nut.
It actually rounded off the hex nut.
I don't have much confidence using spline anymore.

Thing is, what's to say that 12 point hex wouldn't round off?

My preference is 6 point hex whenever I can, for notionally better fit and interface. However, I'm sure a hard seized fastener could be rounded by that too...

I have a set of pass through spline that I inherited. I never considered using them I figured just another consumer gimmick tool.
One day I was doing running boards on a GMC, they used long bolts with 10mm nuts in a recess with almost no access, the running board is composite eliminating the smoke wrench.
The friggin nuts has rusted down almost a size and the 6pt deep socket wouldn't fit, it just made it worse.

Removing the brackets was not going to happen, no access if the bolts in the rusted frame broke leaving me in a bigger pickle. The twisted nut extractors were too big and too short, I was officially worse than screwed at this point.

Rummaging through the tools box looking for a hail Mary I came on the spline set, what the [censored] nothing ventured nothing gained. It took all 20 of them out with no drama.
These are not something I use everyday (for no other reason than I am use to 6 pt) but IMO they are not a bad tool to have, they saved my bacon that day.
As a small set to keep in the car they are probably a great choice.

I got a set of the Craftsman ones. I really don't use them to much. I did encounter some rounded brake bleeders. Gave the socket a few light taps with a hammer, and they came right off.

A set of SK splines made easy work of the oil drain plug on our XC90. Previous oil change at a lube joint buggered it up to the point that a normal socket or combo wrench wouldn't fit over it and it was rounding off pretty bad. Spline socket forced onto it turned it right out.

More tools in the toolbox!

Originally Posted By: kala_azar
A set of SK splines made easy work of the oil drain plug on our XC90. Previous oil change at a lube joint buggered it up to the point that a normal socket or combo wrench wouldn't fit over it and it was rounding off pretty bad. Spline socket forced onto it turned it right out.

More tools in the toolbox!

Wecome to BITOG!

You might want to get a replacement drain plug from the dealer.
Oh and stop going to those lube joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back