AC Delco PF48E cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastLane
Unless you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge it's all in your head. Factory gauges are not overly sensitive....

I'm thinking you're probably right. I doubt I can go wrong with the M1 though. It's got to be one of Champion Labs better filters.

Unless you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge it's all in your head. Factory gauges are not overly sensitive....

By the way, I think you're right. I'm running a PF48E right now and it's just fine, indicated oil pressures are the same (as far as I can tell).

I'm still trying to figure out why there is all the hate towards the ACDelco e-cores. I think their variant, having the real bypass valve, is a solid design. I saw that one filter cut open that had deformed, but that was the wrong application for that filter (should have used PF63). Plus, I'm not sure that even that defective filter ever tore.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck

By the way, I think you're right. I'm running a PF48E right now and it's just fine, indicated oil pressures are the same (as far as I can tell).

And on top of that, if the oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter (usually is), then the only time you would see any oil pressure change because of an oil filter is when the oil pump is in pressure relief. Would take near redline RPM to see the difference.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

And on top of that, if the oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter (usually is), then the only time you would see any oil pressure change because of an oil filter is when the oil pump is in pressure relief. Would take near redline RPM to see the difference.

You say that, but what explains all the GM bulletins advising the correlation between using a non-ACDelco filter and low oil pressure conditions? Clearly a link has been made between the two. I think years ago people were having the same problem with Purolators.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

You say that, but what explains all the GM bulletins advising the correlation between using a non-ACDelco filter and low oil pressure conditions? Clearly a link has been made between the two. I think years ago people were having the same problem with Purolators.

Do you have a link to said bulletins? If an oil filter is really restrictive, it can make the oil pump go into pressure relief much sooner, and therefor would also cut down the oil flow and pressure seen by the engine. Perhaps that's what they are referring to.

Also, some newer engines have variable output oil pumps (cheesy design IMO), which could have a bearing on how the oil flow and pressure behaves with different oil filters.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=5000

Here's a techlink that advises if a V8 engine has an oil pressure problem to first ensure that it has a PF48E installed.

Strange, because they make it sound like a dirty engine plays a role here, which could lead to a clogged filter causing them to go into bypass which could lower oil pressure if the bypass valve can't flow enough oil.

All I can say is that in my experience I have never seen any change in oil pressure while using 4~5 different filters on my LS6. Even at near redline when the oil pump should be close or in pressure relief. The LS6 has a traditional positive displacement oil pump, so if these new engines have some kind of 'variable flow' oil pump then that could also factor in.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I put one of these on my jeep patriot today. Your filter's media is packed so tight I thought it was a P1(jk). You won't have any flow problems with 0w-30.

x2 yesterday, used an STP in between.

After realizing the startup noise on my Silverado was not filter related I went back to the PF48E as it is the factory recommended filter. When I have cut them open they seem robust. Note that the 48E has a different color bypass valve than the 63E, this would indicate a different pressure spec, thus I believe it prudent to use the 48E in applications that call for it and NOT upsize to the 63E.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
The E-core filter is 94%@20 microns in efficiency.

Since this is the gm recommended oil filter I assume this will do the job on my Silverado yeah?

Personally i prefer the ultra but in some of our GM seminars the techs that give the classes claim the GM e cores are the better filters they all seem to agree they flow much better than most ( who knows if they are told to push them) .. I have one on my low mileage Cadillac because i could not find the full size ultra and had no choice. No problems so far. I figure if all the GM dealers use them under warranty how bad could they be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back