For all the Tom Brady haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven

I have to disagree with you on protection for Bledsoe. He would literally need at least 7-10 seconds of protection to get the ball out and he wasn't the best at deciphering the defense.

I remember the game against the Jets when he got hurt. Tom Brady came in and on the first drive took them down the field for a TD. Bledsoe in the 1 and 1/2 quarters he played he could not get anything going against that defense. To me he was mediocre at best and that's why even after getting traded he couldn't hack it too much in the NFL.

I am a fan of Pete Carroll and on the contrary Bledsoe and the Patriots did better under him(9-7, 8-8)than Bill Belichick. I believe Bledsoe and BB first year together they were 5-11 or something like that.

No QB needs 7-10 seconds to throw the ball. Not even Bledsoe who did his best on 5 step drops to give WR's time to get down the field and open. 3-5 seconds is much more accurate on the time he needed. 7-10 seconds is longer than needed for hail mary throws. Bledsoe would get the ball handed to him and before he could drop back 2-3 steps was getting hammered by blitzes up the middle. No QB, and that includes Brady( who is very quick to get rid of the ball ), can survive under that. In games Brady does poorly and struggles it is for the exact reasons Bledsoe did = he is getting hammered almost as soon as he gets the ball. That gives any QB happy feet including Brady.

And before you say Bledsoe hung onto the ball too long you have to remember most routes for him were 10-20 yds or more down field not 5-10 like Brady's. He had to hold the ball long enough to let the WR get open and that takes longer when the routes are deeper. Yes, he should have thrown the ball away more than he did but he had such a good arm he always felt if he could just wait a fraction longer he could make a big play - and he did A LOT!

Bledsoe was not great at the quick little short throw West Coast style offenses. He was a down the field guy. If you asked him to make those short quick throws he wasn't as good at it. If you let him look down the field and make the longer throws he excelled( given the time to do so ). It isn't that he could read defenses he just had a style he was better at. Brady excels at that quick short throw and Bledsoe excelled at the medium to deep throws. Both can read a defense. Brady has a quicker reaction time.

In the Jets game where Bledsoe was hurt Brady did not come in and take them right down the field for a TD. He didn't throw a TD in the game at all. Also, there was less than 5 minutes left in the game when Lewis took Bledsoe out and then Drew came back and played after that hit as well. Brady only played a couple minutes at the very end and there was no TD. As far as him not getting anything going in the game as I recall Edwards fumbled a couple times at crucial times killing scoring drives. I know Bledsoe had an INT in the end zone too which didn't help but it wasn't all him. The Jets didn't exactly light it up that game either as I recall. Low scoring D battle.

You need to go back and refresh your memory on what really happened. What you posted sounds more like Bledsoe coming into the AFC Championship game half way through when Brady got hurt and taking the team right down the field for a TD to David Patton. Your Jets game recollections are not accurate.

Couldn't hack it in the NFL after being traded huh? Hmm, I seem to recall something like 4400yds and 26 or 27 TD's, a higher passer rating than Brady, a ProBowl berth, and quite a few other significant things his 1st year in Buffalo. If Buffalo had even a halfway decent defense in 2002 the Bills would have easily been in the playoffs and made some noise. No matter how many points the offense put up that defense gave the game away far too often. If not for Bledsoe and how well he played they wouldn't have even made 8-8 with that god awful D. The next 2 years in Buffalo they took away his offensive weapons and wrecked the o-line. The defense got better but the offense crashed. His 1st year in Dallas he again put up good numbers ( 3700 yds, 24'ish TD's )and had that team on the cusp of the playoffs as well. An average defense and a string of horrible kickers turned a 12-4 team into a 9-7 team.

Bledsoe was never the problem when the team played to his strengths. When it didn't the team did not do well nor did he. If you want to say Brady is better at getting through with what he has that is fine and probably true. However, it is easier to do that when your game is the short passes and letting the receivers do all the work than it is when your game is to throw the medium to deep stuff and you need good WR's who can get open. Bledsoe played in the wrong era really. He would have done much better if he had been in the league 10-20 years prior when longer passing was the key.

I never said that the Patriots did better under BB than PC. I said Pete Carrol and Bobby Grier ruined the team and they did. Their drafting and player moves were awful and Pete Carrol was not a good coach here( he became one at USC and is for the Seahawks but here he was average at best - better than he was with the Jets but he took a SB team and ran it into the ground ). Those 2 ruined the team Parcells had built which could have been a dynasty powerhouse. Instead, it suffered a slow and agonizing death under those 2 with their poor decisions. 10-6 year one, 9-7 year 2, and 8-8 year 3. Yes, the team was 5-11 under Bellichik in his 1st year(2000 ). He came into a bad team thanks to PC and BG, his own draft that year sucked other than Brady( and anyone who is honest will admit it is luck that a 6th rounder turned into what he did ), and he did not try and build the team or game plan around Bledsoe's strengths. He tried to force Bledsoe to play a style he wasn't good at which is a coaching mistake.

Bledsoe is far from the greatest ever but he was a lot better than most Patriot fans will give him credit for.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If anything I think this whole process exposed how lax the NFL rules are regarding the pre-game ball handling procedures. I have only really gotten into following the NFL in previous years, but I assumed that there were NFL officials that took care of that, and not have team associated personnel control it.
Lax? It looks like a bunch of useless nanny rules. Let the QBs how much air they like.

I don't think it is the rules themselves so much as it is/was a lack of enforcement and following of said rules. The rules are actually pretty clear and when followed ensure that there is an even playing field in regards to the balls used by both sides.

1. - Each team provides their own balls for offense in the game( kicking too but different rules ).
2. - Balls must be official/approved NFL game balls
3. - Ball PSI range is limited to 12.5 - 13.5
4. - Ref's check each ball prior to game for any defects, extreme wear, and for proper inflation( balls can be rejected if in bad shape and the ref's adjust the PSI up/down when or if needed ). Upon completion of the inspection the inspecting ref initials each ball showing the inspection was done.
5. - Balls are stored in a secure area until approx 1 hour before game time when they are brought to the field by the approved attendant for that team. NO ONE is supposed to touch them before that.
6. - During the game the balls are in a designated area and given to the ref's by a designated person/attendant. NO ONE else is supposed to touch them/handle them.

To me that pretty much ensures the balls are secure and on an even playing field for both teams as long as no one intentionally breaks those rules as we had happen( IMO )in deflategate. The balls were taken into a bathroom by one of the deflate suspects AFTER the official inspection and there were unauthorized people/attendants( from the Patriots )handling them prior to the game and during the game. Clearly there is an opportunity to get to the balls after the inspection is done for those who have cheating in mind.

About the only change(s) I could see being made that might help stop cheaters from working around the rules ^^^ would be for the league to supply all game balls. They retain control of them at all times with a league employed ball attendant for before and during the game. The little extra $$$ it would cost is not even a penny in the coin jar to you and me for the NFL. Or, if that seems too extreme then have the ref's do the official inspection on the field right before the game and then have a league employee be the one to stay with them and give them to the ref's when asked for. Take the teams out of the equation completely is the main point. Make it so the only time anyone but a ref or league official has any reason to handle the game balls is when the players are doing so on the field during the game.

Overall the NFL ball rules are pretty good I think. I don't see them as Lax at all. I think the enforcement of the rules is what was lax. With any rules in life the people the rules are directed at have to have the character and willingness to follow them. Cheaters will be cheaters though and break the rules when they can. So you either make it impossible to cheat( i.e. league supplies and controls the balls at all times ) OR you make the best rues you can and then punish those caught breaking them.

I apologize to the post length police if this was too long.
grin2.gif

What would be wrong with letting the offence set the pressure? This isn't like basketball or soccer where both teams play with the same ball.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with it but the league seems to think so and there are rules in place governing it so they need to be followed. I am merely discussing the rules that exist and how to make sure they are enforced per the topic.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I love how you are labeled a "hater" if you think Brady did it and thus deserved punishment for cheating, lying, obstructing the investigation, destroying evidence, etc... Just makes me laugh. I live in the Patriot's home area and have followed the team going back to Jim Plunkett in the early 70's. I have been a Patriot fan a LOT longer than a lot of people defending Brady( well I am not really right now - too much cheating and unethical behavior for my taste since BB took over ). I was a fan in the dark days as well and not just in the modern era of success. The difference is I do not wear blinders and excuse stuff just because they are winning. I was raised better than that. So label me a hater for having common sense and expecting integrity of teams and players I follow if it makes you feel better.

I would actually say the ones who are ignoring the facts and are being influenced by their emotions on this are the fans of Brady and the Patriots. They are so in love with Brady and the team that they overlook obvious cheating. Just win baby( at all costs ). Very reminiscent of the Giants fans during Bonds steroid use. They loved him and blindly supported him while the rest of the country wanted him run out of the league and banned from the HOF for the cheater he is. Same now with Brady. NE fans ignore what he did while the rest of the country wants him held responsible.

The bottom line is Brady was involved in cheating. Period and end of story. No one, with an ounce of common sense, can truly believe he didn't know what was going on and that it wasn't at his request. That just stretches the bounds of credibility beyond the breaking point.

He plays for a coach who has a DOCUMENTED history of cheating and of pushing the rules as far as he possibly can as well. He has "grown up" as an NFL player in an environment where it is considered acceptable to cheat and to try and get away with whatever you can, whenever you can, to try and get any edge possible. If caught play dumb and deny.

The truth is he did it, got caught, and is paying a high price for being a repeat offender of sorts. His association with the team and their past cheating/rule pushing scandals( while he was QB )is biting him now. Also, if he had just owned it when caught and cooperated he would have faced probably just a fine and maybe a game max. Instead he and the team went on the defense by attacking the league and trying to shift focus off what happened. He destroyed evidence and didn't cooperate as well. So, he now has to lay in the bed HE made for himself.

I am glad the Court reinstated the suspension. Brady deserves it for the totality of all that has gone on with deflategate. I don't say that because it is Brady ether even though I admit I don't like him. I want to see cheating punished. IT should be more than a slap on the wrist too.

I forget where the article was printed on Bill Belichick, but it pretty much said that he realized early on in New England and even prior in Cleveland how inept and incompetent the NFL was regarding the integrity of the game. Mainly because they were only interested in profits, so he got away with quite a bit of murder in his tenure and breaking rules. Does that mean New England is not a great football team? No. They could have done pretty close to as well just following the rules. But they have to be arrogant cocks and push the envelope largely because they can, or could, and Hoody thinks he's smarter...

The NFL, they generate billions in revenue for their owners and players, but they're too cheap to pay cheerleaders and full time officials...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
This is going to the supreme Court

And everyone who has a job should be pulling for Tom. Companies write people up routinely because they don't fall in line. A person has a right not to be accused written up and disciplined on the whim of some dip dump management hack.

He cheated and got caught...get over it...

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Brady will be returning to the game fresh and uninjured while starting OBs on other teams have had four games to get beat up. For an older QB that might be a plus.

Don't worry he just paved the way for his replacement to take over next season.

More like if he does serve the 4 game suspension we'll realize what a great qb he is and what we are missing out on. In my opinion he's the greatest QB to play this game. His replacement, Garoppolo, reminds me of Bledsoe. Big arm talent but with 2 left feet.

There were/are many QBs that were better than Brady...take your NE colored glasses off...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Dude...just admit it. Tom Brady could walk on water and all you would say is that he couldn't swim.

He only walks on water to biased NE fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back