Any suggestions for 0W20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Plawan
Originally Posted By: Garak
How is using the specified viscosity an unnecessary risk? You still haven't addressed that. What is an unnecessary risk is taking advice to ignore OEM recommendations with no rationale whatsoever.
Yes I did. It makes plenty of sense to me and many others including those that spec the viscosities of oils for the automobile manufacturers in other places on the blue planet. Those places that don't have to adhere to cafe standards
Bovine scatology. Using your logic there are also millions of cars on the road using 0W-20 achieving the same results as the other viscosity oils elsewhere on the "blue planet". Try again.

apparently it's working on for you by the mileage in your sig. it just dosent seem right to me. Just can't get over it. Seems like an unnecessary risk to me. I mean it could share down to a critical viscosity too easily it seems. That coupled with the fact that the thicker grades cause no damage, I cant see the point in those ultra thin oils.
Yeah, free country though

None of which are anywhere near a valid technical reason to recommend anything other than what the manufacturer specifies.

These oils have been out for years now and are operating just fine in millions of engines that specify them.

How is using the specified viscosity an unnecessary risk? You still haven't addressed that. What is an unnecessary risk is taking advice to ignore OEM recommendations with no rationale whatsoever.

Yes I did.
It makes plenty of sense to me and many others including those that spec the viscosities of oils for the automobile manufacturers in other places on the blue planet. Those places that don't have to adhere to cafe standards

It appears you bring your excellent logic from the oil filter section to the oil section..... LOL.

The oils of today or a lot better than the oils of the past. Remember the 10W40 sludging problems. The base oil and additives are worlds ahead of just a few years ago.

I think I will stick with Mobil 1 EP unless there is some reason not to which I am not seeing. If I was drag racing the Mirage (good luck in that race), then I might consider a thicker oil.

I certainly would never substitute this oil into one of my air-cooled mowers as I am sure that would do a number on the viscosity real fast.

Yes I did.
It makes plenty of sense to me and many others including those that spec the viscosities of oils for the automobile manufacturers in other places on the blue planet. Those places that don't have to adhere to cafe standards

But CAFE does not require 0-20 oils.

True tig1, CAFE gives no mandate on HOW the economy is achieved.

But the CAFE documents clearly state that lower viscosity oils are the least cost way of obtaining an economy improvement, that the give credit for backspeccing, and the manufacturer must make every endeavour to stop the end user from changing to a thicker oil if that's what was used to gain the credits (anti backsliding)

Mag1 0W20 still priced to sell on amazon. I got my first 6 quarts this last weekend.

No, you've merely made an argument that might be plausible, without having any evidence to back it up. What if I say that Europe insists on thicker oils because they use exceedingly long OCIs and oil is ridiculously expensive there and everyone drives 200 km/h all the time. Just throwing it out there doesn't make it true.

Usage patterns are different in other countries, and Shannow has shown evidence of that about a dozen times here. Of course, CAFE has an effect. But "an effect" isn't synonymous with "made inferior."

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
Redline 0W-20, from Amazon.com.

High moly, it's an amazing product, and it's technically the thinnest 0W-30 around. All goodness.

And yes, I have used this is previous as well as present vehicles.. either standalone, or in a mix, depending on my budget, as well as application (manufacturer suggested thickness, or HTHS, of oil.)

No do not buy this product.

Its overrated overpriced BITOG'd hype and NO approvals>

Plenty of OEM alternatives to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back