Vehicle lighting is out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of this is a reaction to years of trying to improve lousy headlights. The four 5.75 inch lamp set up, especially with Ecode lamps is still hard to beat, but even BMW gave up on it. With current "aero" lamps, a car can have great headlights one year and lousy ones the next and there is little to be done about it because adding "wicked extra bright bulbs" not designed for thelamp assembly often produces more glare and little or no additional light where it counts.

Last edited:
The LEDs are bad when they go out. Usually have to replace the whole thing even though one or two of the LEDs are not working.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm happy as long as they don't blind me with oncoming glare. That's what I can't stand. Either oncoming or behind me. I look at what you describe as accent lighting. Which is no big deal to me.

That's the problem with all of these unnecessary lights. The stupid looking "eyebrow" lights aren't bright, but those DRLs are almost always aimed so they shine directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers...my personal feeling is DRLs should turn off when the headlights come on...

such is the law in europe....

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have noticed a resent trend toward using high beams at low speeds and blinding oncoming traffic for no reason. It appears that if one is more important than others then they use their high beams without regard to the problems this might cause. Many of these more important people drive expensive cars so they probably expect others to just accept the fact that this kind of behavior is expected by those not so fortunate. The solution might be to install a "disappear" button on the dashboard of cheaper cars.

I don't think its intentional. Well except for the guy I saw tonight with a burned out low beam so he was driving around with high beams on.
But, I really think that people don't know that they have their high beams on. I flash them, and they don't react. I really believe they don't know what the blue squid on their dashboard is for.
For example, my old cavalier had a light on the dashboard to show that the DRLs were on, so they probably just think it means their lights on.
These are the same people that would drive around with no headlamps b/c their dashboard is lit, but their vehicle has auto-lamps.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have noticed a resent trend toward using high beams at low speeds and blinding oncoming traffic for no reason. It appears that if one is more important than others then they use their high beams without regard to the problems this might cause. Many of these more important people drive expensive cars so they probably expect others to just accept the fact that this kind of behavior is expected by those not so fortunate. The solution might be to install a "disappear" button on the dashboard of cheaper cars.

I don't think its intentional. Well except for the guy I saw tonight with a burned out low beam so he was driving around with high beams on.
But, I really think that people don't know that they have their high beams on. I flash them, and they don't react. I really believe they don't know what the blue squid on their dashboard is for.
For example, my old cavalier had a light on the dashboard to show that the DRLs were on, so they probably just think it means their lights on.
These are the same people that would drive around with no headlamps b/c their dashboard is lit, but their vehicle has auto-lamps.

Or they KNOW their high beams are on and they just don't care...

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I think using the fog lights for DRLs would be better. Also, maybe folks would stop using them when it's clear out at night.

They are also good for dodging road craters, but I agree.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Getting noticed by blinding the on coming motorists is what it all about. Perfect example of the "me" culture of today.

Sadly, I think this is probably accurate.

I drive a 2004 S2000 Honda with the OEM HID projector headlights. The car has standard running lights. And looks rather subdued when viewed at night. The headlights are among the best OEM lights I've driven behind. They simply work well. No bling, no flashy LED's. Just good lights that do not annoy other drivers. With the stiff suspension and sharp cutoff, they never shine into oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

As long as they use the "eyebrows" to satisfy daytime running light requirements instead of the godawful GM/Toyota way of using slightly dimmed high-beam headlights, I'm all for it.

None of these lights (except for the headlights) are necessary at night.

Lots of things aren't necessary on modern vehicles. Huge rims with rubber band tires is one example. But if something looks cool, you can bet the manufacturer will offer it in hopes someone goes for these looks.

Things like SUVs and AWD aren't necessary for most people either.

Quote:
All they do is annoy oncoming drivers.

Personally, I don't find the LED eyebrow DRLs annoying, just as long as they don't blind me. These are typically low-power lights, so they should not be particularly offensive to oncoming traffic. The real problem is people installing aftermarket HIDs in halogen housings that aren't designed for HIDs.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Cujet May I be so bold as to say that you adjusted the lamps properly.

I don't think he did. My S2000 HID low beam didn't bother oncoming traffic either. I think the headlight was aim correctly at assembly or at dealer before delivery.

If HID headlight didn't aim correctly(too high) it would blind oncoming traffic terribly, and you would have everyone high beam you.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
None of these lights (except for the headlights) are necessary at night.

Lots of things aren't necessary on modern vehicles. Huge rims with rubber band tires is one example. But if something looks cool, you can bet the manufacturer will offer it in hopes someone goes for these looks.

Things like SUVs and AWD aren't necessary for most people either.

Quote:
All they do is annoy oncoming drivers.

Personally, I don't find the LED eyebrow DRLs annoying, just as long as they don't blind me. These are typically low-power lights, so they should not be particularly offensive to oncoming traffic. The real problem is people installing aftermarket HIDs in halogen housings that aren't designed for HIDs.

With that particular statement I wasn't referring to the eyebrow lights, I was talking about DRLs...the eyebrow lights aren't blinding, they're just unnecessary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back