Which handguns are made in the continental USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a TON of handguns made in America, even by foreign firms. Why? Because its easier to comply with the regulations. Guns that are imported have more standards that must be met.

For a classic example...the Walther PPK. After 1968 it could not be imported from Europe due to the Gun Control Act that year. So what did they do? They started making the PPK in America under Interarms and later S&W. However, the Walther PPK/S with its slightly taller frame met regulations and could be imported.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
My next handgun purchase will not be an asset to Austria's economy. So if I aim to help USA workers, which major-makes / models are built here in the USA?

FYI, You can buy USA made Glocks.

I suppose each model needs to be investigated first? FYI, no Glock-name was listed in the Americans working link a few posts up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well..."handgun" is a pretty broad category...what kind of handgun? Revolver? Auto? What caliber? What capacity?

Just bought a Ruger this morning. Made in America by an American company, but I'm not certain if a single action .22 revolver is what you're looking for...

I'm sorry....... semi-auto pistols.

Originally Posted By: billt460
This whole "Made In America" slogan has become a bit of a fallacy. We now exist in a global economy, no matter if we like it or not. Glock is an Austrian company. With that said they are manufactured here, in a Georgia plant that employs Americans.

By the same token Japanese Honda automobiles are manufactured in Marysville, Ohio, While your "American" Ford is assembled in Mexico. Sig Sauer handguns are now manufactured in New Hampshire, and Beretta's are made in Accokeek, Maryland. Many, but not all, of Springfield Armory's pistols are made in Brazil by Imbel. So based on all of the above, it's become all but impossible to entertain pure, "American production" any longer. Buy what you like. Chances are there were several Americans employed to make it happen. One way or another.

That's true. However, you can narrow it down to:

Made in America

or

Made in America by an American company

Certain parts may be foreign made though.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well..."handgun" is a pretty broad category...what kind of handgun? Revolver? Auto? What caliber? What capacity?

Just bought a Ruger this morning. Made in America by an American company, but I'm not certain if a single action .22 revolver is what you're looking for...

I'm sorry....... semi-auto pistols.

Ruger just released their whole "American" line of pistols to rave reviews from the gun press. I've not shot one, yet, but they fit my hand well and have good ergonomics.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/models.html

Add that line to the "SR" series, including the SR-1911 (in .45) and you've got a lot of good guns from which to choose. The SR series, like the American, are available in 9mm, .40 and .45.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr40/models.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr45/models.html

Last edited:
To help offset this firearms trade imbalance I am going with DT versus HRC.....
grin2.gif

Taurus TCP made in America. It is un-importable, so it has to be made here. Same for the Glock 42. Illegal to import, so they must be made here.

Smith & Wesson
Ruger
Cabot Guns
Remington
Kimber
Kahr
Kel-Tec
Sccy
Wilson Combat
Colt
Bond Arms
Beretta (some)
FN (some)
Sig Sauer

Many (many) more

And if you want a (very) expensive gun made out of a Meteorite, then here you go.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/24/luxury/cabot-guns-meteorite/

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Taurus TCP made in America. It is un-importable, so it has to be made here. Same for the Glock 42. Illegal to import, so they must be made here.

Out of pure curiosity on my part... why is it illegal for the .380s to be imported?

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Out of pure curiosity on my part... why is it illegal for the .380s to be imported?

The pistols don't have enough BATFE "import points" to make them available to the general public. The .380's fall just short due to their weight and caliber, so if Glock isn't willing to make some sort of adjustment to them, or produce a model that meets BATFE standards for importation, they'll only be available to Law Enforcement.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: NateDN10

The pistols don't have enough BATFE "import points" to make them available to the general public. The .380's fall just short due to their weight and caliber, so if Glock isn't willing to make some sort of adjustment to them, or produce a model that meets BATFE standards for importation, they'll only be available to Law Enforcement.

Yep, this all dates back to the Gun Control Act of 68. As I mentioned the Walther PPK in any caliber could no longer be imported due to its small size. This was an attempt to help curb the import of cheap "saturday night specials" made by firms such as Rohm and ERMA following the rise in violence in the late 60's.

Some guns they can simply add a cheap feature to in order to get them imported. For instance you will see lots of Russian commercial Makarov pistols in 380 on the used market. In order to get them enough points to be imported they had to add adjustable sights. But some guns just cannot be altered to pass so they just set up shop here or contract the manufacture out to another firm.

I vote for a Smith and Wesson m&p. Get a shield if you want something small or a m&p full size if you want something big.

Plenty of revolvers to choose from also as well as 1911s and their performance center guns are really nice if you have extra money, they even offer them in the M&P lineup now.

Also if you just want something reliable and inexpensive the SDVE series is actually a really a good bargain. I have one of the older 2010 model Sigmas, it's an SW40VE, only paid $299 for it and it's reliable and accurate.

I'm sorry, but there is validity to the "made in USA" theme, regardless of product category.

The Nebraska "Vice Grip" to China example illustrates the point perfectly. The company laid off it's 330 American workers, most of which were unable to find jobs. The cost to society due to those specific Vice Grip related foreclosures, bankruptcies and unemployment benefits are said to be in the 10's of millions.

The savings to the company is about a million in profit.

I prefer American when ever possible. Guns included.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm sorry, but there is validity to the "made in USA" theme, regardless of product category.

The Nebraska "Vice Grip" to China example illustrates the point perfectly. The company laid off it's 330 American workers, most of which were unable to find jobs. The cost to society due to those specific Vice Grip related foreclosures, bankruptcies and unemployment benefits are said to be in the 10's of millions.

The savings to the company is about a million in profit.

I prefer American when ever possible. Guns included.

But outsourcing an American brand is a WHOLE LOT different than importing a foreign brand that competes with a domestic make. Indeed foreign competition is good, as it stimulates innovation and quality standards. In the car and motorcycle world we saw this in the 70's and 80's with the Japanese brands, and in the 80's and 90's we saw it in the gun sector with makes like Glock and Beretta creating modern "wonder nines".

On the other hand outsourcing often drives down quality, rarely passes productions savings on to the consumer, and hurts communities all for limited benefit to those in corporate and those who own stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back