Fixed cold start tick, came back after OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sound is unlikely from the oil and that's more coincidence than cause. Above 32F there's no difference 5w-30 and 10w-30 that your engine can tell. You really have to get even lower to see an appreciable difference.

Clean it up. My lifter tick went away slowly over time with adding some ATF at the end of each OCI at idle before draining, and using HDEO and high quality synthetic oils over time. The recommended cleaner above should help, or you can use other things to flush at your oil change. You can also run a little MMO in the crank during the OCI

I've tried all of:

Rislone,
MMO,
BG MOA,
and Seafoam

When I had the seafoam in it actually never ticked at all even in the lower teens just like the weird concoction of PYB, PYB and PHM that I discussed earlier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I've tried all of:

Rislone,
MMO,
BG MOA,
and Seafoam

Research a KREEN treatment

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I've tried all of:

Rislone,
MMO,
BG MOA,
and Seafoam

Research a KREEN treatment

Heard of it - but haven't given it much thought. How would a KREEN treatment help with my scenario? I already know that when Seafoam was added it probably really really thinned out the oil since I followed the instructions for adding it to the crankcase (CHANGE UNTIL OIL IS DIRTY) and when I had a weird concoction of oils.

I generally tend to believe additives as mostly snake oil, but I was tired of burning oil and I finally decided to give KREEN a shot.

I read every KREEN testimonial I could find. Many people had great success with it.

My issues centered around oil consumption, but other people had ticking issues completely resolved by Kreen

Someone on here stated that the ticking stopped within 10 minutes of pouring it in.

Give it a try!

This is urgent and I need help!

Like I said I have had a cold start tick for the longest time. Ive been running PHM for most of its life and some PYB occasionally. Either using the stock MOPAR MO-090 or Fram TG16 filter.

Also like I said at one point I was completely able to get rid of a startup tick with a weird concoction of PYb 10w30+5w30 + PHM 5w30.

Last night I changed the oil with 5qt of PYB 10w30 and PYB 5w30 and talking to a friend with a 4.0 WJ he has been running the Fram TG8A which is slightly bigger. I decided to buy the Fram TG8A as well.

I went to drive it today and oil pressure seemed normal as it always has. 55-59psi at cold start, 30-40psi operating temp at idle. When I first cold started it I thought all was great! I didnt get my usual bubbly exhaust and lifters ticking which I thought was awesome. But then they did. I figured ok so nothing really changed except now I didnt get the burbly exhaust tone as the lifters tick. I drove it for awhile and I noticed sitting at a red light Id hear a:

(Really fast) tick tick tick tick tick.... pause for a little ..... (really fast) tick tick tick tick tick.

I had this same problem when I had the PYB10w30+5w30 until I noticed a little oil loss and filled the rest with PHM5w30. Then it stopped doing that and then the lifters stopped ticking at idle even warm or cold start.

I am completely lost. The oil pressure seems fine even with the TG8A larger filter as if i had the tg16 or MOPAR stock one. One thing is though the OPSU runs before the filter (behind it towards the back of the block). Is this the filter? I was under the impression that a longer filter wouldnt do anything other than maybe a longer OCI.

Is the PYB too thin and my lifters arent pumping it up? I have a qt of PHM 10w30 and 3/4 qt of PHM 5w30. Should I replace a qt of the PYB and add a qt of whatever PHM to see if that stops the random ticking at idle while warm?

What is going on here? thanks

I should mention that when im driving it there is no lifter noise whatsoever. It only happens when I am sitting at idle or rpms are low - again like the lifters arent pumping it up until I give it some gas.

You have good quality fresh oil in there, check the level to make sure it's ok and you have the right amount of oil.

Now relax and drive the car for at least 500 miles and report back. Give the fresh oil a chance before you condemn it.

Originally Posted By: SR5
You have good quality fresh oil in there, check the level to make sure it's ok and you have the right amount of oil.

Now relax and drive the car for at least 500 miles and report back. Give the fresh oil a chance before you condemn it.

I guess so but man it's concerning when you hear it ticking like that at low RPMs/idle intermittently

I should mention that when im driving it there is no lifter noise whatsoever. It only happens when I am sitting at idle or rpms are low - again like the lifters arent pumping it up until I give it some gas.

My car is similar when it's warming up. Once fully hot this goes away. (i.e.Ticking at all RPM when cold, ticking at low RPM when warm, no ticking when hot).

Did you do a long drive and still hear it?

For me, I think it's saying I need thinner oil, as hot oil is thinner and the tick goes away when the engine is hot (full operational temp.).

Originally Posted By: SR5

My car is similar when it's warming up. Once fully hot this goes away. (i.e.Ticking at all RPM when cold, ticking at low RPM when warm, no ticking when hot).

Did you do a long drive and still hear it?

For me, I think it's saying I need thinner oil, as hot oil is thinner and the tick goes away when the engine is hot (full operational temp.).

When it cold the first thirty seconds is straight ticking until warm then gets quiet. But now with the just the 5qt PYB 10w30 and 1 qt of 5w30 it does it when it's warm but intermittently even when hot or at low enough RPM/idle - I also noticed that I have slightly more throttle response but my gas mileage has dropped a little (I can tell by looking at my over head console that tells me "instant miles per gallon" and going at speeds I normally do I know what it usually says instant mpg and now they are a little lower.

Again, at low RPM or at idle or if I shut it off hot and then turn it back on it will tick like:
(really fast) tick tick tick tick .... pause a second or two ..... tick tick tick tick

Like I said, this happened when I had straight 5qt PYB 10w30 + 1qt 5w30. But whenever I've used the PHM it didn't tick at operating (hot temperature).

What I originally thought when I had that weird concoction is that it likes the thicker PHM and the PHM5w30 still has the flow of a 5w but upon research its HTHS is higher than PYB10w30.

I guess so but man it's concerning when you hear it ticking like that at low RPMs/idle intermittently

I know, and I blame BITOG.

Before BITOG I drove around with the windows up, AC on and radio on. I was listening to the music and enjoying the drive. Now after BITOG, I drive around with the windows down, both the AC and radio off, listening to the engine and grinding my teeth.

Really, a good quality oil of the correct grade, with a good filter, both changed regularly, is all that is required. We need to remember to enjoy the drive.

Switch to a high flow filter and get either a thick 10W-30 or a thin 10W-40.

Fram Ultra and Chevron 10W-40 is what I'd do but it's your life.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch to a high flow filter and get either a thick 10W-30 or a thin 10W-40.

I tend to think you are correct Merk. Slightly thicker next time.

If the ticking is only when starting the engine then it goes away why worry about it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
If the ticking is only when starting the engine then it goes away why worry about it.

As ive said a thousand times I have a colt start tick but now switching from PHM to PYB I get an intermittent ticking sound at low rpm (RPM
Im with everyone else. I guess I'll just drain a qt and add a qt of PHM 5w30 or PHM 10w30

Welp. I drained a qt and put a qt of 10w30 PHM in to thicken it up. I went to go test drive it so I cold start it and it was ticking super loudly. I turned it off in frustration. all I did was add one qt of a thicker oil and the cold start tick got loud. I knew I should have put in the PHM 5w30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back