Start up after storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
A year and a half ago I parked the 86 Samurai temporarily and it hasn't been started since. It's been under roof and all I did was disconnect the battery. I've recharged the battery several times so it should be ok. I'll drain the gas out of the carb and disconnect the fuel line and crank it enough to get the old gas out of the lines. It's always used some oil but doesn't leak a drop, valve seals or rings? Is this a good time to pull the plugs and try to loosen the rings with a soak of something before I fire it up? Had just changed the oil when I parked it. Anything else I should do? thanks

I soaked rings with some atf before starting the harley. Soaked, cranked with no spark plugs in, fired ir up. Did end up doing a piston soak to unstick the rings, you might not have to.

I'd just get some fresh fuel in it assuming you didn't put Stabil in before storage. Drive it a bit to get things good and hot and maybe change the oil if you feel up to it.

How is the oil pump driven? On something like a Small Block Ford or Chevy you can pull the dizzy and spin the oil pump to get the pressure up, then just stab the dizzy back in and you are good to go. I have the adapter from ARP for a Ford.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Charge the battery. Start it up. Drive to the gas station and fill the tank. Drive on.

That's EXACTLY what I did with my >400,000 mile '73 Satellite when I gave it away a couple of years ago. It had been sitting (indoors) for ~3 years. Granted, I did fog it with MMO on shutdown 3 years before, but also had double the amount of downtime that we're talking about here. If you want a little added insurance, pop the spark plugs and give a *short* spritz of aerosol Seafoam or MMO in each hole. Crank it over with the plugs out to build oil pressure before putting a load on the bearings. Then put the plugs in and fire it up.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Charge the battery. Start it up. Drive to the gas station and fill the tank. Drive on.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back