AAA Experience.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard of a multi-hour wait but usually they're faster. I haven't required towing much, fortunately, but the one time I had a car throw the main pulley, they said 1hr and came sooner. I have heard worse stories about getting a jump, but have never required that.

When my Jeep went for a swim in the middle of no where I was able to drive it to get cell reception before it died completely. I called AAA and was given the "hour wait" spiel. Not surprised considering I was 30 minutes from the nearest city that would have an AAA truck.

Truck showed up in an hour and the driver was nice. The drivers do have to have a background check and they take all the work out of finding a tow

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I would have recorded the officer saying that the car had to be moved and that it was a hazard which would cause an accident. I would have then let the officer have my car towed and submit my bill to AAA for reimbursement. If AAA will not reimburse, I would go through administrative appeals with AAA and, with the recorded officer's statement, apply for reimbursement through a supervisor. If AAA still did not pay, I would then sue AAA in small claims court.

Good luck with that.

well, AAA is known as the premier choice for roadside assistance. Every time i've needed a tow, I ask the tow drivers what's the best premier choice that they'll jump to get calls for and get paid and they always say AAA. But AAA is also regional so AAA in one region might not be exactly the same as AAA in another.

So for the OP's particular incident, I don't believe any other roadside assistance choice would've been able to get you any better result.

There may have been some communications hedging. Often times, the dispatchers for YOUR service, always greatly hedge their estimates, so they don't disappoint you. The tow truck company says 1hr even though they can be there in 30, then dispatcher relays to you 1.5hrs because they don't trust the tow company. So potentially the AAA would've been the same 30min call as what the cop got for you.

Last edited:
I had AAA and had bad experiences. I switched to Chevron motor club, which is funny because all the Chevron gas stations moved so all I use is that. I like it. I've had excellent service from them. You call them from your cell, which they identify and use your cell to track you and send service, which has always been reasonable. Much cheaper than AAA too. I also have towing on my insurance. Which you can add cheaply.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Kool, I can't record the officer. I live in Chicago.

Yes, you can.

As as AAA, I have used them only once in the past decade and
I requested a flat bed, and they tried to deny it, even though the car could not be driven and a regular tow truck would have damaged the vehicle.

Then when the flat bet finally showed up 2 1/2 hours later the sleazy driver tried to pester me into using the shop he showed up from...When I politely declined he kept making it seem like he couldn't figure out how to get to the shop I wanted my car towed to, even though I gave him clear directions...

Not happy.

Last edited:
I've been with AAA for about a decade and they've always been good for me.

Want to know a trick that will get them out there fast? Tell the person at AAA that your car is on the side of an extremely busy street/highway, and you're concerned that you or the car could get hit while you're waiting.

They get there FAST when you tell them that.

Tow companies are total scumballs.

Amen. I guess I'm not really angry with AAA but with the tow yard who only took "cash payments". And the police that deal with this outfit.

I will second that on the tow companies being scumbags. Iam in a pro tourist area of Florida and they just love to prey on people parked in "Their" designated tow away zones. They really have tourists over a barrel and take them over good, which is sooo wrong. I hate them. Alot of laws suit them too, which they can actually get new titles. I would like to see them more regulated. It's really legalized stealing now.

Last edited:
I love AAA. I've had a Premier membership for 4 years. Got it as a gift and kind of didn't think I would use it. I've used it probably 12 times. Just called them on Friday when my grandfather got his car stuck. I use it for anything. Buy a car on the spot, call AAA and have them tow it home. Friend breaks down, AAA. I've had a couple scary tows but good service. Once in a snow storm and the truck had worn out tires. One night my fuel pump died and this methed up white dude with no shirt and a big swastika tattoo showed up. White power bro, don't scratch my car.

I know a guy who owns a tow company, they will stick you left and right. For the money AAA is an incredible value.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The cops have push bumpers,maybe they should have cleared the road of your vehicle? (course afraid you'll sue for bumper damage). Cant win....

I once towed a car that had been pushed.

Fixing the caved-in trunk ran about $3000.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Kool, I can't record the officer. I live in Chicago.

Yes, you can.

Yeah, if you want your skull caved in or meth planted in your car!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I will second that on the tow companies being scumbags. Iam in a pro tourist area of Florida and they just love to prey on people parked in "Their" designated tow away zones. They really have tourists over a barrel and take them over good, which is sooo wrong. I hate them. Alot of laws suit them too, which they can actually get new titles. I would like to see them more regulated. It's really legalized stealing now.

Are you one of the idiots that parks ten feet from a "NO PARKING-TOW ZONE" sign, squeals like a pig when your car gets hooked, and tries to pay with a bad check?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Exactly. The one thing I remembered as a kid is, "always tell the Chicago police the truth". lol You give respect and you get respect.....

[quote=Panzerman
Are you one of the idiots that parks ten feet from a "NO PARKING-TOW ZONE" sign, squeals like a pig when your car gets hooked, and tries to pay with a bad check?

In Chicago, its an outside agency that writes 80% of all the tickets.

Exactly. The one thing I remembered as a kid is, "always tell the Chicago police the truth". lol You give respect and you get respect.....

Treat them like you would any other armed gangbangers.

AAA also sells and installs batteries. I had a battery fail on me in the '03 Buick PA just as I parked at work. So I called and asked. "Sure, we replace batteries." Out he came, put in the new battery, checked everything, and the price was competitive -- considering that I didn't have to drive to Autozone or somewhere, have a battery put in, and then pray to find a new parking space near work.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

No. Iam the one that has to give a tourist directions to the tow company because they towed his car in a empty bank parking lot at 8 PM at night when the bank was closed to walk on the beach. The towing company gets permission to put their signs up basically to mark their territory Personally.I have never been towed. I know what kind of scam they run on the tourists. They love out of state plates. They know they need their car. Scum is being easy on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
One night my fuel pump died and this methed up white dude with no shirt and a big swastika tattoo showed up. White power bro, don't scratch my car.

Yup, gotta love Pennsyltuckey.
lol.gif

Some parts really ARE just like the Max show "Banshee".
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back