Favorite BMW LL-01 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I'd seen that thread. The liqui-moly was an oil I was specifically interested in.

Related, thoughts about the new euro Pennzoil Platinum?

I suggest you try the Pennzoil. At least you now know of a weird behavior I noticed on both my BMWs when using LM. Just watch for that and see what happens with Pennzoil. Make your choice based on that and whatever else you deem important.

Scott

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
As stated "track days" for sustained high RPM and high heat use. It comes out at least twice a year. I know a number of Beemer drivers/owners who would not run anything else for a car that gets tracked...

If your BMW is a grocery getter, you and I are on different planets. What's the point ...

Anyone who would consider beating on a beemer while trying to get 10K miles out of their oil is not someone I know, or prolly want to ...

Some of the guys I know change their brake fluid every event ... Oil changes are a given.

Trying to convince the BIL who just bought a new Beemer to drop the FF at some point and get a UOA so we know how the engine is doing (metallic residue/matter). He admits it's a very expensive car, but then seems content to let things go ...

You DO know that we are discussing cars- not motorcycles, right?

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Oil changed every track day does make me laugh.

A track day is NOTHING compared to a proper engine test. The BMW approval test is over 300hours of hard use for example

M1 5W-30 survived just fine in my turbo GDI MS3 for 7,500 miles- even after a three day HPDE where it served as my instructor car. Ditto for M1 0W-40 in my Club Sport after several track days.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I'd seen that thread. The liqui-moly was an oil I was specifically interested in.

Related, thoughts about the new euro Pennzoil Platinum?

I suggest you try the Pennzoil. At least you now know of a weird behavior I noticed on both my BMWs when using LM. Just watch for that and see what happens with Pennzoil. Make your choice based on that and whatever else you deem important.

Scott

Your experience with LM Leichtlauf HT is a bit worrisome for me. I have 8 liters of it in my garage right now waiting for my N62 X5 here in the next couple weeks. I also use BG MOA. At this point I think I will run it and monitor oil level closely.

I should have waited to purchase, because in hind sight I probably would have gone with PP Euro 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Castrol Edge 0w30

Maybe a good oil but yet another one that does not carry Longlife-01.

It does carry ll01 approval.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Castrol Edge 0w30

Maybe a good oil but yet another one that does not carry Longlife-01.

It does carry ll01 approval.

Yes, I apologize. It does. I don't know what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Your experience with LM Leichtlauf HT is a bit worrisome for me. I have 8 liters of it in my garage right now waiting for my N62 X5 here in the next couple weeks. I also use BG MOA. At this point I think I will run it and monitor oil level closely.

I should have waited to purchase, because in hind sight I probably would have gone with PP Euro 5W-40.

Go ahead and use the LM. If it burns off rapidly for you as it did for me, change it to something else. I seriously doubt it will damage anything. Just in case it does burn off and you change it soon after, could you collect a sample and send to Blackstone?

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Go ahead and use the LM. If it burns off rapidly for you as it did for me, change it to something else. I seriously doubt it will damage anything. Just in case it does burn off and you change it soon after, could you collect a sample and send to Blackstone?

Scott

Yeah I have a test kit I will probably use for the next oil change. The N62 already consumes quite a bit of oil in the first place... about a half quart per 1000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back