Do you have to add oil shortly after an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I found something that concerns me with an oil I used recently in our two BMWs (not the Castrol in our signature). In both our virtually flawless, ultra maintained BMWs I tried a new brand of oil that met BMW LL-01 specs; a German-made boutique brand. In both vehicles, I had to add about 2/3 to 3/4 a quart of oil within the fist 100 miles (!!) of the oil change (6.9 quart sumps on both). Then the oil level remain steady for the rest of the OCI.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of behavior? The reason I'm asking here, and not the Euro forum, is because I think my question is a "generic" oil question.

Lastly, I'm not trying to repeat myself or flood the forum(s) with duplicate posts, but here is a thread I started last night in the Euro forum, but asking about how NOACK is determined.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...s_that_o#UNREAD

Thanks,

Scott

As the oil "saturates" the filter element, I find that there should be a little decrease in the oil level in the sump.

Perfectly normal.
Carry on
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
As the oil "saturates" the filter element, I find that there should be a little decrease in the oil level in the sump.

Perfectly normal.
Carry on
coffee2.gif

This is not the case with my situation. I add enough oil to account for a filter change. If I check the oil after starting the vehicle and checking for leaks, the level on both vehicles shows full. If I drive either car a short distance, say 100 miles, both are down 2/3 to 3/4 quart.

Thanks,

Scott

Not in BMWs, but in other cars I always check the oil shortly after an oil change and often have to add a little bit to top it off. After you drain everything and put in the new oil and filter you need to run the engine for a bit, then let it sit overnight, then check the dipstick. It is always down a bit after doing that.

IME, Depends on car and oil; some use oil for 500km then stabilize, others - no change, others increase, others just eat it a a steady rate increasing with engine speed.
Surprisingly, my wife's newish Subaru had used a NORMAL amount of oil for a Fuji boxer, and I ranted and dreaded that the last OC which was performed by the Dealer. They used bulk PEAK 0w20. Well surprise of surprises: The engine now consumes little to no oil. In fact she made a long round trip to Carp, Ontario and back to S.E. NH and only consumed ~200ML.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I only check the oil after the car has sat all night. Then all of the oil has returned to the sump.

Even when checking after starting and checking for leaks, I let the car sit for 20 to 30 minutes will I cleanup the garage. This gives me a reliable oil level indication. I've also had these two BMWs for a long time, I know exactly how much oil they take. Exactly.

I'm not blowing you off, Doog. After the oil change I subsequently check the oil level after the vehicle has sat overnight, just like you do.

It's just with this one brand of oil I've tried in both BMWs (not the Castrol in our signature, that stuff is fine):

1) I change the oil and filter, I start warm engine to check for leaks.
2) Shut off engine and clean up garage. Re-check oil level after 20-30 minutes. It reads full.
3) Drive the 328i 40 to 50 miles, park overnight. Oil level down 1/2 quart following morning. Add 1/2 quart of oil. Reads full once again.
4) Drive the 328i another 40 or 50 miles, park overnight. Oil level down another 1/4 quart the following morning. Add 1/4 quart. Reads full once again.
5) Use 328i for remaining 5K mile OCI. Oil level now remains full the entire OCI.

Scott

The "Virtually flawless" appellation you apply has more to do with your ego than the issue here. Also, what German made "Boutique brand" are you referring to? Often they appeal more to that same personality trait rather than any exceptional quality for your engine, even a Beemer.

There are 2 possible explanations to your observations, personality issues notwithstanding: The first is that although you believe you're accounting for the filter saturation, you're actually not..or at least not totally. It actually takes quite a bit to saturate it, and the amount you're down could easily account for that, as well as...

The second would have more to do with the oil you're draining than the oil you're adding. The old oil might drain out more thoroughly, leaving the engine and sump emptier. When you add the oil in your OCI, it takes a while to not only fully saturate the filter, but also to fully circulate thru the engine and register at the proper level. So, it wouldn't at all be surprising that you'd be down the amount you're finding after the oil gets to circulate and fill the entire engine. It would be a concern if, say, after a week of checking, each time you need to add that amount.

Last edited:
What would you guys think if viscosity increased significantly after just 128 miles of usage?

Blackstone oil analysis.

VOA 40C 89.81, 100C 13.82
UOA 40C 87.19, 100C 15.08
Also, this oil had been used in this vehicle for the last 15K miles. The above UOA was the fourth change using this oil, not a switch from another brand or weight.

I always have to pull and reinsert the dip stick on the Focus. For some reason, on the first pull it's always below the add line. And, when I got the car, I didn't realize that and thought I had an oil burner on my hands. After adding nearly 2 quarts throughout an OCI, I was really surprised when I got 6+ quarts from my engine which has a capacity of 4.5 quarts!

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Checking oil in a cold engine is SOP here.

Is it? One of my manuals states to check the oil warm, after the car has sat for about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
It's soaking the sludge? Filling the oil cooler?

There is absolutely zero sludge in this motor, or any of our vehicles. Good question though, if you are referring to the increased viscosity.

I'm a short OCI guy. 3K on the 300Ci, 3K to 5K on the 328i, 5K on the Ford and Honda (the Ford and Honda are driven about 2K per month each).

My short OCIs match well my gray hair! :))

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
In both our virtually flawless, ultra maintained BMWs I tried a new brand of oil that met BMW LL-01 specs; a German-made boutique brand.

Rather like 'Noey', I'm dying to know what is the brand in question; no scientific interest - simply curious.

Regards, lim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back