Rebuilt Pontiac 301 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to derail, but a 5w-30 is far from pointless. Considering I commonly run conventionals, including in the F-150, are you willing to pay the premium for my jump to 0w-30? You might be interested to hear that at least in this neck of the woods, one of the bigger retailers of oil, Canadian Tire, has gotten rid of almost every 10w-30 synthetic on the shelf. They seem to agree that 10w-30 synthetics are obsolete, particularly since nothing currently specifies such a creation. Various 5w-30 examples meet some of the most modern and demanding specifications out there, from basic SN/GF-5; to dexos1; to dexos2; to current A3/B3 A3/B4; A5/B5; and E6, E7, E9.

Todd:

You have a good question there on what oil to use. I had a black 1980 TA with the 301 turbo. Wow that car had a tight suspension when it was new. It was a great car with a terrible engine. I always though the style of the wheels on the turbo cars was a little weird too. However I bought it with the intention of putting in a stroker SBC.

My car had a Quadrajet feeding the turbo and it was very prone to knock/detonation. It never would blow up though, and I tried. It made decent boost, but just not enough power. I never could figure out the detonation and lack of power. Back in the 80s I always used Mobil 1, cant remember the grade, and never had a problem.

I would suggest using Redline 5W30 in summer/hot weather running conditions. However, the Pontiac engine is really pretty tough and I wouldn't stress out over the oil. Post a picture if you can.

The 301 Turbo used a knock sensor to stop detonation, but it didn't work well. Some versions had an extra connector which connected the HEI module to stop knock. Later, the car had the GM EST and had a knock sensor connected to that, but I heard that didn't do much to solve the problem.

Since the owner retrofitted the engine with EFI he probably got better spark control at the same time.

I like Shannow's recommendation on the Amsoil ACD. Stout oil and seems pretty ideal for this application.

Other than that, a 0w40 Euro oil, or a 5w40 synthetic HDEO would also be good choices.

I definitely would not consider a xw20 in Arizona heat!

Here is a picture, she's a survivor with C&C T-tops and wearing 35 year old Barclay Brown metallic paint. One of the POs polished it down to the primer on the back of the roof and there was some pretty bad oxidation all over. I spent 4 hours with a DA polisher and a few different compounds and got her looking pretty respectable. I also detailed the tires after I took this picture, I do love the raised white lettering on the tires of cars from that era.

I think I am going to go with the M1 HM 10w30 for price and ease of purchase.

Many thanks once again to everybody who chimed in, thank God I had a lack of faith in my dangerous bit of knowledge and posted here before I did something stupid!

-Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back