Serious Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
i thought it was a serious dumb post until i read 3-4k rpm.
This is what happens when the line between truth and fiction gets blurred.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
You should change your oil every week and ATF every other week. It's cheap insurance.

Unless your oil is only good down to -40°, then change it more often in the winter.

I drive a manual. Should I duct tape an auto tranny near it so i can change my ATF more often?

Originally Posted By: Yup
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I have learned so much from this thread!
If you use Fram Extra Guard filters kittens die. NOW you learned something.

WHOA! I'll have to return them all immediately. Wait. My dogs are telling me to use them daily.

Is your battery made by Johnson Controls? if not how does it start?

Do you use sta-bil in your gas? if not how does the gasoline burn?

Can you post a youtube video of what your car sounds like when you start it up after setting for awhile? pics of valve train also please.

PS. I think you need a high moly oil!@!

OK, so cars and trucks that sit can have drain off if they use pure synthetic oils because of the lower surface tension inherent in the chemistry. That's part of what makes them good cleaners.

Dino oils generally have a higher surface tension, so they offer a slightly thicker retained film (better capillary fill). It MAY be beneficial to run dino oil for motors that sit ...

Once an engine is broken in, all surfaces have a near permanent coat of oil. You have to hot tank them to get the oil out. And it does not matter the brand.

So listen to your motor on start-up. If it clicks and clacks, change to a slightly thicker dino based oil and see if it goes away? If it does, you know you have good film retention
smile.gif

Also, use a good filter like WIX with a known excellent anti-drain-back valve. That will keep the galleries full so oil will circulate a bit quicker
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Srt20
you make sure you do left hand turns hard as well to get the oil back in place.

i usually only soak my pistons in oil after sitting. The crank is fine because I put 10qts of oil in an engine that calls for 4qts. And I dump motor honey over the valves and valve springs to get them wet again. But I only use AV gas in my cars. As far as "RPMs" I use all the numbers on the "RPMs" gauge. Seems to work great.

Are you stupid? Taking hard lefts shifts the gas to the right side of the car putting undue strain on the fuel pump. If you take hard lefts you should pour a tablespoon of lemon juice and a shot of gin in the tank to lubricate the fuel pump. If your gas station doesn't sell lemons you need to find a classier station. I keep a converter plugged in and a juicer at the ready on days I fill. But seriously, will NAPA syn last 2500 miles? I drive 20 miles round trip in first gear pulling 5500 RPMs at 30mph. I heard if you change gears it's tough on your clutch and tranny.

Well I am from WI. I will not waste alcohol on a vehicle. The booze is the best when poured into my gullet, while driving at 6100 "RPMs" of course.

Ill try the lemon juice though. Might make for a good brake pad lubricant.

Originally Posted By: Indy
All i have to say is wow..im going to sit back and see where this leads to

Cripes! I realized my car has been sitting for 6 hours! I use a filter with a nitrile ADBV. I have to run out and fill the filter with oil so i don't ruin the engine on a cold start tomorrow. You guys check the filter for oil every 6 hours too, right? I've done it with every car and never had oil related issues.

Wow is right................

Cripes! I realized my car has been sitting for 6 hours! I use a filter with a nitrile ADBV. I have to run out and fill the filter with oil so i don't ruin the engine on a cold start tomorrow. You guys check the filter for oil every 6 hours too, right? I've done it with every car and never had oil related issues.

You need to put 4 drops of MMO in with the oil when you fill the filter. Trust me, it helps.

I use scothbrite pads inside the differential to keep the gears polished because shiny stuff goes faster. Once you drain your oil, rev the engine to the limiter to pump out All the old oil. Trust me, it WILL contaminate the new, esp if synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I use scothbrite pads inside the differential to keep the gears polished because shiny stuff goes faster. Once you drain your oil, rev the engine to the limiter to pump out All the old oil. Trust me, it WILL contaminate the new, esp if synthetic.

Pro tip: Leave the pads in the differential housing so you get continuous polishing.

Has anyone had issues with the fumes getting sucked into the air intake

*takes a long puff* Everything's sooooooo green!!

No need to remove the engine after extended periods of non-use. Just fill the engine to the tippy top with fresh motor oil, allow to sit for five minutes and drain off the excess. Everything in the engine will be well oiled.

Regarding the windshield washer fluid: what you need is a good strong solvent. TCE (trichloroethylene) is a powerful solvent, with a long history of use as a cleaning agent. Sure to remove those pesky bugs and anything else that's stuck on the windshield.
EPA certification may be required for purchase and areas where the windshield washer has been used may be declared a toxic / superfund site.

Another handy tip to reduce miles accumulated on that odometer is to drive everywhere backwards. This would work on the old mechanical odometers, but I'm not sure about the new digital ones.

TRUST ME

joe-isuzu.jpg

Happy Motoring!

As anyone can see, the predominating theme here is avoidance of wear after drain down or during hard turns.

The guy who got it RIGHT was the Green Hornet. Watch those campy episodes from the '60s.

He kept his car on a "flipping floor". After the catches release and he and Kayto get in, the oil has gone back to its regular sump.

That's why the Black Beauty didn't smoke. And all this on conventional oil. Simple really.

Some of us complicate things so. Kira

You should change your oil every week and ATF every other week. It's cheap insurance.

Unless your oil is only good down to -40°, then change it more often in the winter.

I drive a manual. Should I duct tape an auto tranny near it so i can change my ATF more often?

no silly,
you duct a blonde with long legs to it....

nope,
you first wash the filter in the dishwasher (shush, don't tell the lady of the house)
then you pre-fill with straight weight
it clings better to clean

You need to put 4 drops of MMO in with the oil when you fill the filter. Trust me, it helps.

wrong again!
that is for my hurting knees!
i always have MMO , acetone and a monkey in the trunk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back