Flushing an engine with Diesel fuel???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercedes Benz used to recommend this as a factory-authorized method to cleann lubrication systems. 50/50 oil and kerosene, run for 15 minutes at idle. I have also seen it done where it is allowed to cool down fully, then repeat the idle.

I have used it on cars with suspect oil change histories, etc. If there's a suspected need, it is a legitimate tool. Doing it frequently with regular oil changes would be excessive.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Liquid fertilizer and diesel mixed blew up a Federal Building.

The hydrocarbon fuel for the explosion does not detonate, and actually the ammonium nitrate doesn't either - not in the sense of a true high explosive. The shock wave from the detonator causes the ammonium nitrate to decompose which then deflagrates with the diesel fuel. A powerful explosion but not a detonation.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I think there is a risk of the fuel in the crankcase detonating. That would be interesting.
grin

Last edited:
Did this to my second car when I was 19. It cleaned to well and caused oil pressure to drop as it washed away all the gunk holding engine together. Had to replace the engine.

Taught me a lesson if you want to clean up an engine just do more frequent oil changes.

Originally Posted By: georgemiller
Did this to my second car when I was 19. It cleaned to well and caused oil pressure to drop as it washed away all the gunk holding engine together. Had to replace the engine.

Taught me a lesson if you want to clean up an engine just do more frequent oil changes.

It likely just caused you to wipe the bearings because it doesn't have any AW additives in it. May also have plugged up the oil pickup screen.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
My grandfather used to do it back in the day. My uncles used to say his engines were spotless. With today's oils I don't think it would be needed.

+1

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: georgemiller

It likely just caused you to wipe the bearings because it doesn't have any AW additives in it. May also have plugged up the oil pickup screen.

This! I cannot fathom anyone doing this on a modern high compression automotive engine.

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
Yes we did this regularly when motor oil came in cardboard "cans" and straight weights
smile.gif

Those oils had squat for detergents and sludge was an issue.....this sludge is where the myth of paraffin wax build up came from. We didnt have sophisticated PCV systems/filtration etc. So oil of the day significantly sludged up and varnished everything. The answer was either kerosene or diesel fuel flushes after draining the oil. Yes it worked....you may even get 75K-100K out of a motor doing it religiously
smile.gif
If your lucky.
We also poured oil in our air breather for filtration (see oil bath) and we changed our oil about every 1000 miles. I remember Kendall coming out with the 2000 mile oil. That is what the "Kendall Hand" is doing holding up two fingers....no it isnt a peace symbol......it meant you can go 2000 miles on this oil. It was a big deal.
Absolutely no reason in todays engines on todays oil for any diesel fuel flushes IMHO.

You must have been around a long time. The Kendall 2,000 mile oil change was introduced in 1928.

My first car was a $200 Torana with 5 months rego...hadn't been serviced in 7 years.

I did it to get rid of the masses of sludge (a two litre (quart) icecream container came out of the rocker cover).
The diesel and a 10 minute idle, came out LIKE engine oil, black and thick.

We thought the engine was toast, and it wouldn't hurt...the engine came good, and survived my 18 year old thrashing it everywhere...

after that I'd put a quart in before an oil change and idle for 10 minutes before changing...

Not a practice I would recommend for anything other than a junker engine that you think you are going to have to replace anyway.

Have heard of using used ATF for this purpose also. Not sure what is better, ATF or D2. Not that I ever have plans to do this, of course. But if I were to get a sludged up motor... why not.

Did this with a poorly maintained, gunked up John Deere with a little three-cylinder Japanese diesel. Ran it for about 10 minutes full of heating oil.

An unreal pile of filth (hot filth!) came out of the pan. I did it again and then did a clean fill with Rotella.

Ran like a champ after than until I sold it 8 years later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back