Headlight lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a product which can be applied to the headlamp lenses to keep them from hazing over from the sun's uv rays?

http://www.clearmask.com/ Was posted by another member in a recent thread and it looks pretty viable. Its a 3M film that you apply to the headlight. Unfortunately, they don't do CVs or I would get some for my headlights. Maybe you'll have better luck with you vehicle.

Last edited:
I think there is only one answer: clear coat. Yes, the same UV protecting clear coat on your paint job. It is cheap and very effective.

I also wax the clear coat for more protection. It works great. I had hazing for years until I figured this out.

Here is a video of the procedure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

Here is an alternative. Sylvania Headlight Restoration UV Block Clear Coat Find some codes to buy it cheaper. Should be able to get it for at least 20% off.

There is enough in the bottle to do two sets of head lights. I had enough to do my Oldsmobile and my Volvo. Headlights look great now. I did use the more expensive full Sylvania restoration kit on my Olds, but that required a lot of elbow grease. Used the 3M kit with my electric drill on my Volvo, and then used most of the left over Sylvania UV block on my Volvo.

I am guessing you are just wanting to re-coat the lights, but the linked kit does come with UV remover too, but I would just clean them up real good, and then use just the UV block in the kit. It comes with tape, gloves, and the applicator towels. The tape is not that good, so I used some 3M painters tape I already had, and it worked just fine to tape off the lights. Watch the Sylvania video on YouTube, and it shows you how the UV block is applied. It just wipes on. Don't be stingy with it, but you don't want it dripping off the applicator towel. Basically, you want the edge of the applicator towel soaked.

You are going to be best protected by using paint protection film. If you want the ultimate protection that's what you go with.

No way coat of uv spray is going to match up in durability to mils of film

However getting film installed is legally hazy (as is tinting your windows) which is why it can't be promoted on websites. But basically any and every tint/ppf place will do your headlights.

It's also more expensive most places are going to ask you for about $100 for it.

Last edited:
Headlightarmor in their faq:
http://www.headlightarmor.com/faq.aspx
Quote:
The materials do contain UV inhibitors, but the reason your headlight will fog up / did fog up is not usually do to UV on its own. All headlights come with a hard protective UV coating from the factory. The problem starts when you drive your vehicle without a lighting protection film applied to the lights. Over time sand and road debris chip the hard coating the headlights came with and the sun starts to break down the polycarbonate. This process happens slowly, little by little. So slow you don’t notice it until it is too late.
If you then sand down and polish the lamp and return the clarity you must protect the lamp from both exposure to the atmosphere and UV otherwise you will have the fogginess return. While you could use some sort of polymer sealant they typically do not last that long and of course will do nothing again further pitting – and pitting was the root cause of the cloudy / foggy lens.
Your best course of action is to protect the lens with our lighting protection kits!

I agree with them. Additionally dew and condensation plus the sun crelates small magnifying glasses that also pit plastic.
If the elements can eat through plastic, a spray uv coating will also be destroyedestroyed and will require reapplication

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I seal/wax mine when I seal/wax the car. Make sure your way contains no abrasives, ie no "cleaner wax."

Wax my lenses monthly and they still look new, oh and cleaner wax will not harm them, ask me how I know.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back