Magnifying Headset

Not sure if my terminology is correct but I'm looking to upgrade from a VERY cheap headband w/ magnifier lenses to something a little better.

Here is a picture from amazon showing what I mean.
head set.jpg

I'm not opposed to getting something like above but wondering if there might be something a bit more sturdy in the sub $200 range?

I have an old one of them that I use now and then. Makes me feel like I'm going to defuse a bomb or something when I don them. The rechargeable light is a great idea. My light battery went dead a long time ago and I'm not hunting down a coin battery to replace it.

Donegan Magnavisor. Cheaper on ebay.

Know the magnification you want -- lots of options

I use these all the time to deburr HDPE with a utility knife, and file small radii with jeweler's files

Donegan Magnavisor. Cheaper on ebay.

Know the magnification you want -- lots of options

I use these all the time to deburr HDPE with a utility knife, and file small radii with jeweler's files
Assuming you mean the "Optivisor"?

If so what magnification would you recommend? Mostly using it at the work bench while sitting doing soldering and small detail work.

Don't know how helpful it is but here's a magnification reference for the Optivisor:

LED lighting but I would think the AA battery pack makes it kind of heavy.

Assuming you mean the "Optivisor"?

If so what magnification would you recommend? Mostly using it at the work bench while sitting doing soldering and small detail work.
Yep Optivisor. The last one I ordered was DA-5 but I think I prefer a bit stronger....DA-6 maybe? I keep one in the house and one in the shop.

BUT, this is for basically having to hold things pretty close to my face. I honestly don't know what would work for bench work while sitting.

The lenses are easy to swap FWIW

I have an Optivisor with two fold-down magnifiers and an extra loupe that can go on either side for extra magnification. The Optiovisor is useful for working on watch movements and when soldering SMD components. It does not have an inbuilt light source. I would not want an inbuilt light source because it could cause reflections and glare depending on what you are looking at. A separate and adjustable light source will let you avoid this problem and allow you to light your working area for best visibility.

I also have telescopic glasses. They are sort of what surgeons and dentists use. They look like eyeglasses without prescriptions and each lens has a small adjustable telescope attached. These telescopes can be swapped out for ones with different magnifications. Using those takes getting used to.

Yep Optivisor. The last one I ordered was DA-5 but I think I prefer a bit stronger....DA-6 maybe? I keep one in the house and one in the shop.

BUT, this is for basically having to hold things pretty close to my face. I honestly don't know what would work for bench work while sitting.

The lenses are easy to swap FWIW

I have an Optivisor with two fold-down magnifiers and an extra loupe that can go on either side for extra magnification. The Optiovisor is useful for working on watch movements and when soldering SMD components. It does not have an inbuilt light source. I would not want an inbuilt light source because it could cause reflections and glare depending on what you are looking at. A separate and adjustable light source will let you avoid this problem and allow you to light your working area for best visibility.

I also have telescopic glasses. They are sort of what surgeons and dentists use. They look like eyeglasses without prescriptions and each lens has a small adjustable telescope attached. These telescopes can be swapped out for ones with different magnifications. Using those takes getting used to.

Thanks guys, I'm going to order one of these, either the DA-5 lens or DA-4, cant decide.

EDIT: Ordered the DA-5 lens(2.5X, 8" focus)
a1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm going to order one of these, either the DA-5 lens or DA-4, cant decide.

EDIT: Ordered the DA-5 lens(2.5X, 8" focus)
View attachment 208705
I think they're kind of expensive but if you treat them with care they'll last you a lifetime. And to be fair they're clearly well built, at least IMO. They don't feel cheap or flimsy as I imagine some imports do.

I think they're kind of expensive but if you treat them with care they'll last you a lifetime. And to be fair they're clearly well built, at least IMO. They don't feel cheap or flimsy as I imagine some imports do.
A little pricey for sure but I've noticed as I age I'm using my old cheap pair a lot and they have some serious drawbacks and are literally falling apart. I don't think I'll regret this purchase one bit.

Reactions: D60
IMG_4777.jpeg

This showed up today, no time to put it all together right now but I did throw it on for a quick test. The clarity seemed quite good and the headband seemed like it’s built to last.

Edit: Thank you everyone for your comments!

Not sure if my terminology is correct but I'm looking to upgrade from a VERY cheap headband w/ magnifier lenses to something a little better.

Here is a picture from amazon showing what I mean.
View attachment 208600

I'm not opposed to getting something like above but wondering if there might be something a bit more sturdy in the sub $200 range?
I have one like that with several different lens sets you can pop in. I bought it to insert an RJ-45 connector on CAT6 cable. You need to get the 8 wires with color or color with white stripe in perfect order.

I often use my phone camera for magnification.

Usually I am up 20' on a ladder trying to attach the RJ-45 connectors.

Back