Does Silicon Waterpump RTV Cure Below Freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my waterpump, and use Silicon Waterpump RTV. I will be doing it outside and at below freezing temps (22-32 degrees approx). If I put a couple of 60 watt bulbs near the water pump and leave it there overnight, do you think it will cure ok?

Silicone rubber cures by water vapor diffusing into the un-cured material. The problem with curing below freezing is that the humidity will be very low. You can heat the part with lamps, but it will still be a very slow cure since there won't be much moisture in the air.

Many RTVs suggest letting the material 'skin' before assembly, so if the one you're using does suggest this it might help would be to take the water pump indoors, coat one side with RTV, and allow it to 'skin' inside before taking it out and installing it. The engine block side might just have to cure best it can, but whatever the case I would allow much longer than usual to see if it cures.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
FWIW, BMW service bulletin B 11 10 93 has you using JB Weld to repair pitting in head gasket sealing surfaces.

What does this have to do with anything?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Why not use a gasket and Permatex High Tack?

This.

Or no gasket and anaerobic sealer.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: kschachn
FWIW, BMW service bulletin B 11 10 93 has you using JB Weld to repair pitting in head gasket sealing surfaces.

What does this have to do with anything?

Because if you would have taken time to look into the background on this thread you would have known it is because the mating surfaces on his engine are pitted from corrosion. A suggestion in the other thread was to use silicone sealant to attempt and fill the pitting, I suggested the JB Weld in accordance with the BMW bulletin for a similar issue.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...oun#Post4051664

Hey since you're here, did you ever get back on any of those other threads where people questioned you on your posts? I noted that you carefully ignored all of those threads the past couple of days. You know the ones, where you make silly statements and when people challenge you on them you disappear.

I use Permatex Aviation Forma-Gasket on cooling systems and oil pan stuff and seals. It skins over in about 10 minutes and is non- hardening.It acts like a lube kinda sorta too I use on waterpump bolts because some engines' the holes go into a water jacket. My Jeep 360 V8. Anyway I used it on my first waterpump R+R. 8 yrs and 120 K later the bolts came out like I had put them in the day before. Steel bolts in Aluminum. So I keep a tube on hand. As for using JB Weld on BMWs, Having experience with it and BMWs I'm not surprised they recommend it.

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks for the advice. There is a day next week that will be humid and above freezing. I'll try it then.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The RTV package will tell you the working temperature. Still freezing Minnesota ?

Yup. It ain't California.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The RTV package will tell you the working temperature. Still freezing Minnesota ?

Yup. It ain't California.

28 this morning and about an inch of new snow on the ground up in the northern end of the state.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Why not use a gasket and Permatex High Tack?

My thoughts as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back