1/2 qt low---ok to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its a half qt low just add that.
If my car is a little low I just add until its full again.
Being a qt low is not the magic barrier at which it is OK to add.
You can add whenever you like as long as you don't overfill.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
No, his observation about the reduced oil volume is flawed. There is a reason there are full and add marks (or low and high, whatever they are on your vehicle) on the dipstick. The lubrication system is designed to operate just fine when the oil level is at the low mark.

I think your view of what the dipstick means is flawed.

The system is designed to work optimally with between, let's say 4 to 5 qts of oil betweent the add and full marks.

NMBurb02 is right , you aren't.

The low mark , is the minimum level below which there would be suffocation of oil supply to bearings ......
and this level is determined by engineers basing on the physical dimensions of rotating bearings in relation to a rotating crankshaft.

Besides low mark/level in an engine oil sump, there is also a high mark/level.
There is no such concept of things like 'optimum' mark/level on a typical dipstick for use in an oil sump.

Originally Posted By: paulri
OK, it really looks like nobody here has a big problem with being 1/2 qt low. If that's the case, I won't add any.

I'm a bit surprised at that, though.But then again, you folks know more about engines than I do. That's why I joined this forum.
smile.gif

Between the full line and the add line is the safe area on the dip stick.It is not 1/2 qt low.

If the car is reading anything below the full mark, I add. My moms 2007 Grand Prix with the L26 and it consumes about 1/2 a quart over 1K. My 1999 Camry 5S consumes NO oil over its 5k intervals. Both cars have 167k and are running M1 0w40. I don't see an issues with adding unless you are A.) about to change the oil. (Previously mentioned) or B.) the engine is still hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back