VIRGIN FRAM HM 10060 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this filter I was going to use on the girlfriends 2012 Chrysler 200 but since the head gasket is being replaced; I figured I would cut it open.

359z9dl.jpg

18myjb.jpg

r93fba.jpg

t0nn82.jpg

t5gjlw.jpg

Thank you again car 51 for yet another professional cut and post.. Personally like many i steer clear of frams except for the ultra they make because that is a totally different filter.

But after cutting open a bunch of different oil filters i did notice that the frams were not so easy to tear like a lot of others. The other thing i like is fram uses the regular large round oil holes in the center tube instead of those small slits some use.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Thank you again car 51 for yet another professional cut and post.. Personally like many i steer clear of frams except for the ultra they make because that is a totally different filter.

But after cutting open a bunch of different oil filters i did notice that the frams were not so easy to tear like a lot of others. The other thing i like is fram uses the regular large round oil holes in the center tube instead of those small slits some use.

I don't know what you have against those slits crazyoildude... science says that slits (all added together) provide more surface area for the oil to flow through than those "big round holes". I have nothing against the round holes, and have plenty of filters in my stash with the round holes that i fully intend to use, but the slits do in fact give you more flow, because of being able to provide more total area for the clean oil to flow through.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
The other thing i like is fram uses the regular large round oil holes in the center tube instead of those small slits some use.

The CARQUEST I have on my Infiniti Q50 uses those small slits you are referring to. Thankfully the engine hasn't blown up yet.......

Are these the ones with additives applied to the filter media? All I can find at my Wal-Mart is those HMs and OCOD's for my Focus, the TG8316 is nowhere to be found.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Are these the ones with additives applied to the filter media? All I can find at my Wal-Mart is those HMs and OCOD's for my Focus, the TG8316 is nowhere to be found.

Yes, the HM is the one with the goo.

Walmart recently clearanced out the TG8316 at $4.50; they were from 2013-2014.

My suggestion is to go to AAP or Carquest and get the CQ filters (with the online promo codes, of course). The CQ blue is a VERY good filter, a reboxed M1.

If an O'R is nearby, they carry the Wix 51315. They also carry the XP, and even the M1-211, the only chain that actually sells them in-store (the M1-211 is online-only at Pep Boys, AAP/CQ, and Autozone)

Also, the STP S8316 from Autozone is a very good bang for the buck, the best cheap filter for the Zetec. Even though Autozone/STP recently switched suppliers (new ones are Purolator, old STP's were Fram ecores), they will most definitely have the old Champs in the 8316 version, since it's not a popular application (if WM can't move them, then AZ definitely can't). And this one is special, metal endcaps, NOT an ecore, and has a silicone ADBV. For $4.39.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Yes, the HM is the one with the goo.

Walmart recently clearanced out the TG8316 at $4.50; they were from 2013-2014.

My suggestion is to go to AAP or Carquest and get the CQ filters (with the online promo codes, of course). The CQ blue is a VERY good filter, a reboxed M1.

If an O'R is nearby, they carry the Wix 51315. They also carry the XP, and even the M1-211, the only chain that actually sells them in-store (the M1-211 is online-only at Pep Boys, AAP/CQ, and Autozone)

Also, the STP S8316 from Autozone is a very good bang for the buck, the best cheap filter for the Zetec. Even though Autozone/STP recently switched suppliers (new ones are Purolator, old STP's were Fram ecores), they will most definitely have the old Champs in the 8316 version, since it's not a popular application (if WM can't move them, then AZ definitely can't). And this one is special, metal endcaps, NOT an ecore, and has a silicone ADBV. For $4.39.

Fortunately I have all three AZ OR and AAP all within close proximity. I have been me interested in the CQ red filters since I've found no TG8316's anywhere locally. Are the cq reds still suited to a semi extended drain such as 7-8k? I'm thinking of getting a few each for the mountaineer and Focus, enough to use $x off if $xx code.

I will take a look at these AZ/STP filters as well.

Last edited:

Fortunately I have all three AZ OR and AAP all within close proximity. I have been me interested in the CQ red filters since I've found no TG8316's anywhere locally. Are the cq reds still suited to a semi extended drain such as 7-8k? I'm thinking of getting a few each for the mountaineer and Focus, enough to use $x off if $xx code.

I will take a look at these AZ/STP filters as well.

Yes, the Red will be fine for 7-8k, but I just looked up the price for the Zetec CQ filters, and it appears that the blue is actually cheaper than the red for some reason! So definitely use the blue if you go to AAP!

BUT, be aware that not every AAP has the CQ Blue yet (it should become available by the OCI after the one you're doing now)

The STP is very similar to the CQ Red

O'R has $3 off the M1 and Wix XP lines until 3/29. Making the price $7.99 for XP and $9.99 for M1. Since the regular Wix is $7.99 at O'R, might as well step up to the XP. The Microgard is $4.69 and should be able to handle 7-8k (MG is the same as the old Wix-made CQ Reds).

So to sum it up, my choices would be:
CQ Blue at AAP (85315)
STP at Autozone (S8316)
XP at O'Reilly (51315XP) or Microgard (MGL51315)

That's odd, my store shows the reds at $3.69 and blues, out of stock, at $7.59. When I try to add them from a store that shows them in stock, which all happen to be Carquest stores, not AAP, they still show at that price.

That's odd, my store shows the reds at $3.69 and blues, out of stock, at $7.59. When I try to add them from a store that shows them in stock, which all happen to be Carquest stores, not AAP, they still show at that price.

If you can get the red for $3.69 go for it
smile.gif

I see now, the AAP site is calling out 85516 instead of 85315... Yet when I look up the latter it also says exact fit. However in those the reds are more expensive. Is one an xref of maybe fl400s and one like the old fl2005? Thoroughly confused now.

Last edited:
Now that I've completely hijacked this thread into oblivion I remember why I just went to Walmart and bought Motorcraft's for both vehicles last time. I'm tempted to do it again but I feel like I can get more filter for the money...

I see now, the AAP site is calling out 85516 instead of 85315... Yet when I look up the latter it also says exact fit. However in those the reds are more expensive. Is one an xref of maybe fl400s and one like the old fl2005? Thoroughly confused now.

Yes, they are different xrefs.

CQ still uses the Wix numbering system, even though the filters are made by Fram now.

CQ 85516 = Wix 51516 = MC 400s = Fram 3600
CQ 85315 = Wix 51315 = MC 2005 = Fram 8316

Purolator is the only company that has consolidated these two (Purolator makes Motorcraft filters). Fram and Wix retain separate filters for the Zetec. Purolator's cross to the 400s is 20195. Their cross to the 2005 is 25230.

Weird to see them still selling both yet still call out the 85516 for your Zetec
crazy2.gif

Don't use the 85516 (red or blue) for your Zetec. Use the 85315. (or one the other filters suggested from AZ or O'R)

I'm guessing the 85315 has the important second ADBV. It looks like I'm off to Autozone.... Now if they carry a decent fl820s xref I'll be all set.

Now that I've completely hijacked this thread into oblivion I remember why I just went to Walmart and bought Motorcraft's for both vehicles last time. I'm tempted to do it again but I feel like I can get more filter for the money...

For the money, it's hard to get more bang for your buck than a Motorcraft.

Having said that, for your Focus, I'd suggest you stick with Motorcraft. That car should use the FL400s, which is a very well-built filter, and a solid value. I use the FL400s in my Fusion, and I've never had a bad one.

For your Mercury, since it specs the Fl820s, I'm not sure I completely feel comfortable recommending this one, as I have seen a few instances where the 820 seems somewhat under-engineered for what it is - There does not appear to be enough media inside for its diameter. It's still a decent filter, but not as solid as the 400. I used to run these in my '03 Mercury Sable, and never had a problem, but this was a few years back, usually 5000-6000 mile OCI, and my driving was almost 100% highway, in Phoenix.. so YMMV.

As far as the OCI/FCI with the FL400s, I regularly run 7,500 miles on my Fl400s filters in my Fusion - They can easily handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back