Please Help crossing 2001 Impala to other GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. A spring for the drivers seat cushion of our 2001 Impala broke and now the seat sinks down a couple of inches on the left side. I am temporally using a folded towel to make up some of the sag, but it is still noticeable.

I called Stoystown Auto Salvage and they say that seat from an Impala from 2001 to 2005 will fit but that they do not have any in stock.

I asked them what other models of GM vehicles have the same seats, but they do not know. If I can find out, they could check to see if they have any in stock.

Does anyone know what other models of GM vehicles (Cadilac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn) have the same parts as an Impala for the 2001 to 2005 years.

Thanks in advanace.

I don't think that the Impala shares a seat with any other GM cars, based on what I remember. But I sure could be wrong. Base or LS? Bench or buckets?

You may find that the *track* is an impala specific part but the seat will have four bolt holes, and other stuff will bolt up. I put cavalier seats in a firebird under this premise.

Your impala is technically a W-body and *not* a Bonneville/ lesabre. So it could cross with stuff like the olds intrigue or buick century/ regal. What's confusing is that those cars came out in 1998 or so and not 2000 like the impala.

Read up. Interesting about the stretched wheelbases. Make sure it's not in the passenger floorpan between the seat bolt holes.
wink.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_W_platform

Our 2001 Impala is the basic model with the round tail lights. It is not an LT. The seat is the 60/40 bench type with the 60% seat on the drivers side.

Last edited:
If it's a 60/40 bench then it should be the same as the buick century from about 98-05. I am not 100% sure but I Google pictures of the interior and it looks like my Buick Century interior seat which is cloth 60/40. Some limited Century came with leather 60/40 too. There should be plenty of century's in the junkyard, people dump them usually for Lower intake manifold gaskets or tranny failure when everything else is fine.

Had the same happen to the wife:s 2005 Malibu,took it to Redan auto upholstery.They had the seat out and fixed in less than one hour.Why do you want to mess with a junk yard? Charged about $ 175 .

Probably can find a guy parting one out and get a whole clean seat for $40. craigslist

As far as a whole seat assembly, that's going to be pretty Impala specific as far as matching up material and style, but the guts are used among many vehicles. It's hard to narrow down which specific cars share which specific seat parts though.

It looks like the frame that holds the springs was also used in various other roughly 1998-2005 cars including:
Lumina
Century
Grand Prix
Monte Carlo
Regal
Intrigue

But my catalog is pretty vague when doing a part number search to see what vehicles a part was used in, so it's hard to get much clarity on years/models. My GM catalog is designed to search the other way around. Also, some of these cars may have had multiple seat styles which don't all share the same guts.

The seat support spring, or simply "wire" as GM calls it, could be one of these two numbers:

Both are discontinued from GM, but Vintage Parts Inc. has a bunch of 16809974 in stock. 12454393 probably isn't happening. List is, or was, $8.31 each on 16809974.

http://www.vpartsinc.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back