Smoke Machine - Smoke Pro Total Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I am in the market for a smoke machine to aid in the diagnosis of vacuum leaks. As you know, finding small vacuum leaks is a key step in diagnosing lean conditions.

This is the model that I am looking at:

http://redlinedetection.com/collections/...-pro-total-tech

The price is a bit more than I want to spend, but I am interested in a tool that will last for a long time and will provide effective operation.

Are there any other smoke machines that I should be looking at?

Thanks.

There are guys doing DIY stuff on youtube videos. I was going to try to make one myself. Especially considering the massive price for the machines.

I'll hardly ever use it, so a low buck solution seems to make sense for me.

Check out the OTC 6522 Leak Tamer, its a nice unit that puts out more smoke than my old 6521which is a lot. Made in USA (check on that, as it can change overnight), and reliable.
When i bought this one the Redline was $400 the price on these things has gone up like crazy. SPX (OTC) is one of the major emission diagnostic tool suppliers to OE and state inspection programs.

The OTC is also sold under the SPX, Bosch and a couple of other brands. The Redline is also an excellent unit.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-LeakTamer-Smoke-Diagnostic-Machine/dp/B007X74ZTK

Joss sticks?

You could chant at the same time, maybe hang some garlands from the bonnet (hood to y'all)

hare ram-air, hare ram-air...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
All,

I am in the market for a smoke machine to aid in the diagnosis of vacuum leaks. As you know, finding small vacuum leaks is a key step in diagnosing lean conditions.

This is the model that I am looking at:

http://redlinedetection.com/collections/...-pro-total-tech

The price is a bit more than I want to spend, but I am interested in a tool that will last for a long time and will provide effective operation.

Are there any other smoke machines that I should be looking at?

Thanks.
can't help you with other brands/models as that is the exact one I have and it works great. Got it off the cornwell truck.

Frankly, this seems like complete highway robbery. I mean the technology behind it is ridiculously simple. Only reason the truck brands are able to command such a high price is because Autel etc have not got in to this market. If they get in, it will be sold for 10% of the price.

I just went through this myself. There is a video that shows how to make your own for less than $40. The guy used a paint can, propane regulator and incense for the smoke. It was pretty ingenious. He just hooked it to his shop air and the regulator knocked it down to 1 psi or so, according to the guy.

I believe the critical piece missing here is that you really do NOT want to use regular air which contains 20% oxygen when doing EVAP diagnosis. You should be using inert gas tank instead. Fuel vapor and air when combined with spark make your dwelling to go up in the air!

But that is in theory. I would presume if you are not stupid enough to light a match during your testing, you could get away with regular air.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Brake cleaner sprayed strategically, has always worked for me... $3/can

Which fails to check if it's the actual device that's leaking.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
I just went through this myself. There is a video that shows how to make your own for less than $40. The guy used a paint can, propane regulator and incense for the smoke. It was pretty ingenious. He just hooked it to his shop air and the regulator knocked it down to 1 psi or so, according to the guy.

I did something similar to track down an EVAP leak. I used a large aquarium pump I had on hand, metal gallon paint can, incense and hooked it up. Also used it to smoke the intake and found 4 small vacuum leaks I'd overlooked.

What a time saver......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back