Shell Helix Ultra in Australia now GTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that some of the Helix Ultra is ditching the Group 3+ for GTL base stocks. Has anyone used these yet ? I always loved the Group 3+ slack wax, but the GTL is a nice addition to the range.

They also seem to be adding the first engine warranty on an oil in Australia 250,000km on the 0w20 range.

Last edited:
I'm using the GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my car right now. I changed it at Christmas and I just cracked 2,000 KM on it a few days ago.

It's API SN, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, etc

I buy it from a Shell wholesaler at a pretty good price.

Last edited:
My car is a GM / Holden / Vauxhall / Opel Astra (AH). The Holden owners manual says to use a 10W-30 or 15W-40 oil that is either A3/B3 or A3/B4, no mention of API. They say to change the oil every 15,000KM or 12 months.

Reading some UK & Vauxhall web sites, many people in Europe use oils like M1 0W-40, and Vauxhall give a OCI of 30,000KM and 24 mts. Wow !!

So the car is I-4 but everybody tends to run 40wt oils in them, so the GTL SHU 5W-40 is not out of place in this engine. Which BTW is a little ripper.

My previous few oil changes were with things like Valvoline DuraBlend 10W-40 semi-synthetic A3/B4 at 12 mts OCI. A great oil, and many other Astra owners run a 10W-40 semi-synthetic and change annually.

So running the DuraBlend 10W-40, the engine had a slight tick when cold (cold engine, but I live in a warm climate), but this tick went away as the engine warmed up. Changing to the GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, I noticed no tick on a cold start. The engine was quiet right from the beginning. The engine was also smooth and quiet when hot (fully warmed up - std operating temp). But, when half warmed up, after a few minutes of driving the engine tick returned, and stayed for quite a few minutes until the car was at full temp.

It most noticeable when you go to the local shops to grab a few items. The car half cools down, and when you start it up, tick-tick-tick-tick like a box of rocks, as you drive through the car park. Never got that with the 10W-40 DuraBlend.

I think it's a good oil, and I thought at first it stopped my cold engine tick, but it more just moved it slightly up the temp range. Not a problem, just an observation.

I think this is a very good quality oil, and I should be able to extend the OCI and do two years on it. But, I'll probably just change it at Christmas like I always do, it's easy enough. Nice to know I can go a little long with my OCI if I have to, and not worry, if life gets a little busy.

I would be interested to see when they upgrade the Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 synthetic (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502/505, RN 700/710). I believe it's still the old stuff.

I Look at the piston logo on the front, I believe the code is:

If it says Active Cleaning Technology then it's the old stuff.
If it says Pure Plus Technology then it's the new GTL oil.

The Shell wholesaler confirmed my Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 was the new GTL oil.

its GTL worldwide wince late 2014. any shell with the label pureplus technology is GTL. I have this 2014 batch oil in my mistusbishi engine, at almost 9000km, and the oil level on the dipstick is still the same, I did not notice any drop off in level. Thats how good it is. compared to castrol magnatec semi synthetic 10W-40, i found 1/2 quart loss at 3000km.
last night drove the car from my old hometown back home for 1 hr, at 3500 to 4000rpm, engine sounded smooth all the way.

Last edited:
alcyon - So they have stopped with the Slack Wax ?

SR5- What model Holden you have ? For the UK the models changed to larger sumps and with the cooler weather not sure if that has an impact.

My first use of the Ultra some years ago 5w40 was when they changed bottles and a mate and i bought a few 5lt bottles from K-Mart for $10 or less
shocked.gif
and it was an excellet oil. Used the 15w50 blue bottle one my car got older and using Penrite and mixture of other oils from time to time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vxcalais

SR5- What model Holden you have ? For the UK the models changed to larger sumps and with the cooler weather not sure if that has an impact.

AH Holden Astra, the same engine and sump capacity as shown on a Vauxhall website that gave this:
Astra H 1.8 16V (2004 – 2006)

Z18XE. (engine)

4,25 / 0,25 l (capacity)

30000 km / 24 months (interval)

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: vxcalais

AH Holden Astra, the same engine and sump capacity as shown on a Vauxhall website that gave this:
Astra H 1.8 16V (2004 – 2006)

Z18XE. (engine)

4,25 / 0,25 l (capacity)

30000 km / 24 months (interval)

This Opel Astra link says to use 5W-30, but it's still 30,000KM & 24 months (if you dare).
OPEL Astra H

Most people in Europe seem to be using 5W30, 5W40, 0W40 full synthetics.
I think GM in Australia when they said 10W30 or 15W40 were referring to mineral oils (at 15,000KM and 12 mts). The sump capacity is the same as mine. I think the SHU 5W40 is working well in there, I may try some Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 next.

Originally Posted By: SR5
It most noticeable when you go to the local shops to grab a few items. The car half cools down, and when you start it up, tick-tick-tick-tick like a box of rocks, as you drive through the car park.

I made the same observation in another thread, I think it's due to the alloy sump on the VT lets the oil cool a bit quicker than the rest of the motor and it takes a little time for the oil to increase viscosity to match the motor temp. Never noticed it with the 10w-40 HX7. Great oil tho.

Ultra has been GTL for a fair while, it's not a recent change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back