Full synthetic vs. European Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

That said, if an LL-01 is cheaper than say something with "just" an A3/B4 rating, you might as well spring for it and know you've got a very stout oil in your engine.

I have yet to come across an oil that meets ll-01 but does not carry acea a3/b4 rating.

Perhaps because ACEA A3/B4 is a requirement within the BMW LL-01 specification. It doesn't make much sense then to not have it on your PDS/label if you have the data.

While true, finding one in North America that isn't synthetic would be a bit of a chore, to say the least. Every A3/B4 I've ever seen on retail shelves here has been a synthetic. We don't even get 10w-40 A3/B4 blends as a matter of course, much less an A3/B4 15w-40 mineral, which would simply cause massive confusion here for the HDEO crowd.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

That said, if an LL-01 is cheaper than say something with "just" an A3/B4 rating, you might as well spring for it and know you've got a very stout oil in your engine.

I have yet to come across an oil that meets ll-01 but does not carry acea a3/b4 rating.

Perhaps because ACEA A3/B4 is a requirement within the BMW LL-01 specification. It doesn't make much sense then to not have it on your PDS/label if you have the data.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Olas
ACEA doesn't make an oil synthetic, you can get A3/B4 mineral oil.

Sure can
smile.gif

Castrol GTX 15w40 "Modern Car Formula," IIRC
Shell Helix HX5 15w40 (SN/CF)

Semi-Synthetics:
Shell Helix HX7 10w40 - has the following approvals MB approval 229.3; VW 502 00/505 00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2

Castrol Magnatec "Stop-Start" 10w30 and their Magnatec 10w40

Not sure of any others, but there's a simple idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back