Wife's Tahoe shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
04 Tahoe in my signature. She was driving home and it died. Radio,ac and gas gauge quit. She could not roll the windows down or unlock the doors with the switch.

I dragged it home with my Ford ( at least it runs). Proceeded to try to figure it out. Starter will not spin with the key but it does spin when I jumped the wires at the relay and it spins fine so the battery is OK.

I can turn the key on like it was running and jump the starter and it still won't fire up.

It's doing some other odd things. The running and dash lights are on even with the switch off.

I'm stumped... I'm thinking the computer died. Any ideas?

A change to synthetic oil is probably all it needs
laugh.gif

I had a similar problem once with one of the cars in the family fleet. It wasn't new when we got it, but it was from another family member. We didn't know that the original owner had it equipped with an aftermarket security device that won't let it start if it's stolen. The car went totally unresponsive(same as you're describing) one day after the lights were left on and the battery went flat and tripped the device into "secure" mode. We put jumper cables on it, but nothing happened when we turned the key. The guy from the automobile association looked under the dashboard, pulled a plug (how secure is that?) and we were back in business.

good job. there's also a ground line that bolts in behind the front bumper, driver's side, that is prone to coming apart.

Suggest pulling the battery for 45 minutes or so to let the ecu/bcm (and whatever else GM uses) reset. The headlights-on thing is pretty telling.

Great news! Its likely a PCM ground and is being used for reference of some sensors and that's why it couldn't figure out how to idle with it on the fender.

I had a Mobil guy out today. Switch and such is working. Looking like the ecm

Wow! Mobil really means to improve customer service.
smile.gif

I had a Mobil guy out today. Switch and such is working. Looking like the ecm

Must be some darn good oil.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back