New to me beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a job w a different company so I gotta turn in my co car 2015 jeep Cherokee sport. Was nice having that, but higher salary / better co is good too and this job pays by mileage. In order to get the most of my money, I have been in the market for a cheap economy car. Looked at a bunch of older corollas, cavaliers, sunfires, Hyundai, KIA, proteges, etc. I was happy w my previous beater, 05 Geo prizm, almost bought a 96 corolla (same car), but the dude wanted $1300 and it needed tires, shocks, cracked windshield, faded paint,and old breaks so I walked. Drove by a car parked in front of a home w a for sale sign, knocked on the guys door and test drove. Its an 02 Chevy prizm lsi, 5 speed manual. It has 177k miles but drove real nice. The dude recently replaced breaks, rotors, all 4 struts, and clutch work. Tires are bout 60%, and everything works including the sunroof and cruise control. Paint is decent too for a 14 year old. Looked down the oil fill and saw some build up so I was concerned. Started it up and the engine sounded smooth, and it drove normal. No leaks. He wanted $1700, I got him down to $1300 and he removed the amp and subwoofer. It passed smog, and gave the interior a detail clean and shampoo. Also replaced the head liner. I just finished a mmo pistoak soak over night, smoke show this morning, ran half a bottle of motor medic 5 min in the crankcase then changed the oil. Oil came out dark, cut the pro master oil filter, did not see any thing of concern, filled with super s syn blend 5w30 from my stash and a microguard filter. Verified the breaks and struts were newer when under there. Cleaned the pcv, turkey based the power steering, break fluid, and clutch fluid, air filter still good. Gonna see what kind of mpg I get on this first tank of gas. Just wanted to share

Last edited:
Sounds good sir. I am looking myself at a 99' 5speed Corolla with only 65k on it. Sounds like you are on the right track
smile.gif

A 14 year old, $1300 car with 177K miles? You sir, are braver than me!! My bottom dollar on a daily driver beater would probably be north of $5K and closer to $8K to $10K.

Just checked my area and you can get a low mileage Prius for like $9000 and get 48/45 mpg.

Good little car! Being the 5-speed it should return decent MPG. And live for another 170k miles, being a Toyota from the era when they still sort of remembered how to over-build things.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A 14 year old, $1300 car with 177K miles? You sir, are braver than me!! My bottom dollar on a daily driver beater would probably be north of $5K and closer to $8K to $10K.

Just checked my area and you can get a low mileage Prius for like $9000 and get 48/45 mpg.

I have my Silverado (in my Sig) as a second vehicle just in case the beater is down. If I didnt have a 2nd vehicle, I would buy a newer vehicle

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I have my Silverado (in my Sig) as a second vehicle just in case the beater is down. If I didnt have a 2nd vehicle, I would buy a newer vehicle

Makes sense.

Must be nice to live in the land of no rust, not many solid rust free 14 year old Japanese cars around here. I'm sure that's what'll kill my xB, unless another idiot totals it first (it was rear ended last year to the tune of over $6K, surprised it wasn't totaled then).

You did good, let's see some pics.

I have no concerns with an older high mileage car, as long as it's a decent car in the first place (as you can see in my signature). I'd go get in my car and drive it across the country and back without any concern.

I'm tooling around in an 02 corolla with 167k and it sorta needs struts. I'm not too picky about it, yet, and can get a full set of Sensens for a hair over $120 from Rockauto.

I wouldn't let a set of struts kill a deal. Though I suppose someone who would put struts in a car they're about to dump would be the guy to buy from.

It's from Canada and the blue paint's holding up real well.
01.gif

Not sure what you can afford, but if your company is paying you to be on the road making sales calls, I think you need a very reliable vehicle, one or two steps up from a daily beater. Your company will not appreciate it if your beater is down for repairs.

Get the newest Camry you can afford.

Last edited:
It appears that beyond getting hold of a "good" car the main criteria for a long lasting car is where you live, assuming that you keep up on the routine maintenance along with reasonable driving habits.

My Honda would have been a rust bucket long ago if I lived up north somewhere or in the southeast with the humidity.

Sounds like a good deal. Just keep an eye on oil consumption.

And maybe use the Camry for long trips / any time you "need" to be someplace, at least until this new car is "proven".

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why not just use your Camry for highway driving ?

Camry is my daughters car. My job is to drive to customers, my territory is no more than 40 miles in any direction from my home. Customers don't see my vehicle. I just drove the car 67 miles to Los Angeles and back. It runs fine. Again, I have my Silverado, its clean and super reliable if that's what I need. FYI, I drove my old 95 prizm from socal to bull head city, AZ in the dead of summer 2.5 years ago. Ran just fine with the ac blowing cold and still getting 30 mpg. And that car was not as good conditions as this 02.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If it was a 14 year old $1300 Jaguar with 177K, it would be different, but a Prism is probably fine if it has been half way cared for, especially where the OP is located.

I regularly drive my 22 year old pickup with no fuss. I'd drive it more if it weren't for being insured as a pleasure vehicle, and having mud tires which wear quickly on pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back