Educate Me on Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wal-Marts in north Alabama are now carrying Royal Purple synthetic oil. I've always thought I did well for my vehicles by using Castrol synthetic, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil Platinum (depending on availability and price). The RP oil is still quite a bit more expensive than Mobil 1 or PP at WM.

Is Royal Purple better than these more common synthetics? Should I step up? You fellows who have studied all this longer than I please educate me.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
Wal-Marts in north Alabama are now carrying Royal Purple synthetic oil. I've always thought I did well for my vehicles by using Castrol synthetic, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil Platinum (depending on availability and price). The RP oil is still quite a bit more expensive than Mobil 1 or PP at WM.

Is Royal Purple better than these more common synthetics? Should I step up? You fellows who have studied all this longer than I please educate me.

RP is good oil, however I wouldn't pay a premium over Mobil, Pennzoil, or Castrol synthetics to buy it.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright

Royal Purple is not necessarily a step up. Keep doing what you're doing and save your money.

If you insist on trying out Royal Purple, keep an eye out for the occasional sale at Pep Boys.

The only RP imo that's "premium" is the old Synerlec formula (before RP got bought out by a corporation). After all,Synerlec was their claim to fame to prevent engine wear. The common present otc RP no longer has moly,zinc,or their Synerlec add unless you get the HPS or XPR lines. But I also wonder if the XPR is as good as the pre-corporate version. From what I've seen on analyses,the HPS has less adds than the pre-corp Synerlec version.

Like I said,this is only my observation and opinion whether it's right or wrong.

Royal Purple is more or less a boutique oil that is more expensive but not better than others top brands like M1 or PP. I see no need to spend extra money on it.

RP's not bad, but if you want to spend more money on a TRULY superior oil, Red Line is the way to go. Fact is, the other synthetics of the world have caught up (& surpassed) RP, in every way but price!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The common present otc RP no longer has moly,zinc,or their Synerlec add unless you get the HPS or XPR lines.

HMX, their high mileage oil, has Synerlec too. I'll be posting an UOA of it in the coming week once I receive the results from Blackstone. But I've posted a few UOA's of the HPS compared against PUP and it wasn't any better.

In years past, RP formulated their oils with extremely strong additive packs, and because of this MANY posters here bashed the oil unmercifully because of the "SJ" designation. They said it was "behind the times and obsolete".

Later, RP reformulated to meet the current specs.

Now, many of the same posters will bash it for being "no better" than the other top line synthetics. Go figure.

From everything I've heard and read, there's no added benefit to RP over any of the off the shelf synthetics. They do make great filters produced by Champion.

Probably good oil.

RP is a blender and a marketing company, not a manufacturer.

Not worth any extra $$ over M1 or other premium synthetics.

In fact, I would prefer M1, M1EP, Castrol Edge Gold, PP, and Pennzoil Ultra to the off the rack API SN RP.

Here's what you need to know about Royal Purple:

It does the exact same thing as Mobil 1, Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum but at an extremely higher price. Oh, and the oil is actually purple too so I guess that's cool. Royal Purple is good if you like to waste money.

It's a great oil nothing overly special but just like other oils they have plenty of people that have no facts giving their opinions try it for yourself and see what you think I've used the 5w20 and 0w20 api line I didn't notice a big difference but I can say the exact same for mobil pp ect you'll never know the difference.... I got it on sale so I used it plus it's a tx based company so I'd rather keep my money closer to home the purple color is pretty cool though

Buy by price. Up here, and with my suppliers, Royal Purple is attractively priced. For me, it's a legitimate alternative to most retail synthetics. But, that's not saying something wonderful about RP so much as it is saying how pitiful our retailers are. I've used in the past, and will do so again, I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Probably good oil.

RP is a blender and a marketing company, not a manufacturer.

Not worth any extra $$ over M1 or other premium synthetics.

In fact, I would prefer M1, M1EP, Castrol Edge Gold, PP, and Pennzoil Ultra to the off the rack API SN RP.

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back