Oil filtration and circulation question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on here some time ago about how quickly a typical engine pushes all its oil through the filter. I can find the post and its driving me nuts. IIRC it was something like all the oil goes through the filter every 20 minutes or somethings. Does anyone know how long it takes an engine to push all its oil through a filter typically?

Yup, read somewhere earlier today it is about 2-4 gallons per minute depending on application.

Pretty fast...one thing I've changed on over the years is the use of a premium filter. Im a firm believer in the best oil filter you can get and changing air filters regularly...i change them every 15k but i drive on gravel a lot.

I used to run anything that would spin on. When i worked as a mechanic we stocked service pro filters in a huge assortment and nobody ever gave them a second thought. IIRC they were Champ Labs...but not sure. I do know we paid less than $2 per

Last edited:
Wow turtlevette that is interesting to learn. I have learned another good piece of information from you on here.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
I read on here some time ago about how quickly a typical engine pushes all its oil through the filter. I can find the post and its driving me nuts. IIRC it was something like all the oil goes through the filter every 20 minutes or somethings. Does anyone know how long it takes an engine to push all its oil through a filter typically?
Maybe in an old British car with a Lucas oil pump.

[/quote] Maybe in an old British car with a Lucas oil pump.[/quote]

Or maybe in an old British motorcycle at idle with a plunger pump.

Manufacturers claim for my BMW motorcycle is 212 gals per hour at 3400 RPM or once every 10 secs.

We had four thousand gallon oil reservoirs on our GE steam turbine/generator sets. Reservoir oil pumps supplied shaft driven oil pump, which if I remember correctly, supplied sixteen inch turbine and generator bearings with 30 psig oil.The Mobil DTE 797 we used was ISO 32, which is about a SAE 10w oil.

HosteenJorje said:
We had four thousand gallon oil reservoirs on our GE steam turbine/generator sets. Reservoir oil pumps supplied shaft driven oil pump, which if I remember correctly, supplied sixteen inch turbine and generator bearings with 30 psig oil.The Mobil DTE 797 we used was ISO 32, which is about a SAE 10w oil. [/quotWhat size were they 250-300MW ?

Ours are 700s (GE licencees), 21" bearing 9, and about 78,000l of oil (again ISO 32 Caltex Regal R&O).

THe oiling system is amazing, the shaft driven oil pump at shaft centreline, 8-10m above the oil tank, and provides the high pressure control oil for the governor and valving.

Oil from the shaft pump returns to the tank and drives an oil driven turbine, which primes the main pump, and provides bearing oil through both direct pressure, and high pressure oil bypassed around the turbine.

Adjusting the baffler, and booster baffler valves at midnight really messes with your head.

Those are big units. Our GE D8s were built in the 70s and went on line in 79. Very reliable units. GE all the way. Don't want anything to to with that Circle W stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back