Need to replace plugs - cooper,Iridium, or Plat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the latest Champion Spark Plug catalogue, the only plug Champion shows for the 2011 1.6L engine is an RER8MC which is a copper plug with a .032" gap.

I just checked the OEM plugs for my 2006 Sentra.
They are $13.69 each!
There is no way I will pay that much for a spark plug.
Thats just silly.

Looking at Rock Auto I don't see many options listed. But If you do go for a long term plug, the Denso's would be my pick. I used them all the time (Standard and Plats/Iridium) in my vehicles as my go to brand.

Use the OEM plugs.

The only exception would be where they are difficult to replace, such as most transverse V6 engines. In those cases, use iridium, so you won't have to change them again.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Copper is a better conductor than other plug metals, and places marginally less strain on coils. Only downside is life..

On lengths, measured in millimeters.. no comment

BMW recommended Silver plugs Like copper but good for twice the miles. I would use the factory spec plug. I will not buy a transverse V6. Side wise 4s are bad enough to work on.

I would get the champion plugs you found locally and go with that. I used them in an 02 S10 and it ran just as good as stock delcos platinums

My 98 K1500 chevy truck originally came with double platinum plugs. The AC-Delco recommended replacement plug in now an iridium.

I just replaced the AC-Delco single platinum Rapid fire spark plugs in my 98 chevy K3500 with the Delco iridium plug and I could tell a definite power difference. The Rapid fires only had 15,000 miles on them.

Originally Posted By: andyd
BMW recommended Silver plugs Like copper but good for twice the miles. I would use the factory spec plug. I will not buy a transverse V6. Side wise 4s are bad enough to work on.

The one transverse v6 that is pretty easy to work on was the 3800 series GM's. If in a fullsize car it is a piece of cake to do the plugs. I just did a set on my father's Lesabre. Took less than an hour to do plugs and wires.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
andyd said:
The one transverse v6 that is pretty easy to work on was the 3800 series GM's. If in a fullsize car it is a piece of cake to do the plugs. I just did a set on my father's Lesabre. Took less than an hour to do plugs and wires.

I thought you had to tile the engine forward with a crowbar on the transverse 3800's. But then again, I have no experience with those motors.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
andyd said:

I thought you had to tile the engine forward with a crowbar on the transverse 3800's. But then again, I have no experience with those motors.

Nope, at least not on the fullsize cars. I cannot recall if you must on the Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs with them. I know the 3100 and 3400 engines in the midsize cars do require it in the midsize GMs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Copper is a better conductor than other plug metals, and places marginally less strain on coils. Only downside is life..

LOL, to think maybe .0001 ohm difference in copper vs other materials will make a difference to 40-50Kv is silly... The gap is far more the determining factor in the amount of voltage the coil(s) must build vs material... A variation of .001 difference in gap will make far more difference than material used in any automotive spark plug ever produced...

Just due to longevity, copper is far the worse of any material.. It will wear away quicker causing a larger gap that must be jumped, so more voltage must be produced, which strains the coils and wears the copper at a even faster rate...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Y_K

LOL, to think maybe .0001 ohm difference in copper vs other materials will make a difference to 40-50Kv is silly... The gap is far more the determining factor in the amount of voltage the coil(s) must build vs material... A variation of .001 difference in gap will make far more difference than material used in any automotive spark plug ever produced...

Just due to longevity, copper is far the worse of any material.. It will wear away quicker causing a larger gap that must be jumped, so more voltage must be produced, which strains the coils and wears the copper at a even faster rate...

Yes, the gap is the biggest obstacle. Also, the plugs people call "copper" are not equipped with copper firing surfaces, they are steel or a steel alloy, the copper part refers to the core, which I believe is the same on the precious metal plugs too, so it is a bit of a misnomer to refer to them as "copper" plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back