Honda Ridgeline....Ugly?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on the new Ridgeline pickup? I usually love Honda vehicles, I own a CRV and have had two civics and one accord. I just gotta say that I think the new honda Ridgeline is very ugly. It reminds me of the aztec. I'm sure that mechanically it's gonna be great, but in my opinion it's limited use as a truck, it's ugly, blocky, funky looking grill, will cost it many would be buyers. Maybe I'm wrong and people like the style....any opinions?
tongue.gif

when they finally come out we are *gasp* buying one. never bought a new vehicle before, but i just cant pass this up.

different strokes right?

Seems to be the wave of the future, the uglier the better. Have you looked at other trucks that are coming out? Butt ugly IMO. The Avalanche???yuck...Tacoma....yuck. Fords look OK. Sierra looks alright but not sure of the "mean eybrow" look on the headlights.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
wink.gif
. However I think I was struck blind when I saw it
shocked.gif
. It seems to be along the lines of the Chevy Avalanche. If you like that then chances are you'll like the Ridgeline.

Whimsey

I'll agree on the new Tacoma. Great truck....ugly looks. They are all getting the angular lines with bizarro semi-curve styling lately. As for me, my eye just can't follow the lines of some of these new vehicles, in a pleasing way. I guess I liken cars to a womans hips...smooth and slightly curved in the right places...not angular.
cheers.gif
But, each person gotta decide for themselves!

I kinda like the ridgeline. I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and they had 2 on the lot. I would probably get one if they were around $27k with leather but since thier $32k with leather im goin to stick with my fullsize chevy.

My only concern with the Ridgeline is the potential blind spot created by the buttresses in the back and the sloping bed. This is an issue I would expect the Chevy Avalanche to have as well.

I predict the Ridgeline will be a hot seller and a good product. I think Honda did better with the Pilot styling, but everyone's eyes see the world differently.

A good commercial for the Ridgeline would be to show it towing a NSX to a track day, then take the Ridgeline out on the track instead, (ala the new Jeep Grand Cherokee commercials).

The thing is a flat out joke IMO.

Come on, how can this thing qualify as a "truck" when it has a FWD sidewinder tranny, unibody, and not a single solid axel to be seen?

Lets call it what it really is, a Honda Element that has a box on the end of it, or a minivan with the half the roof and half the gate.

$35,000 MSRP gets you a V-6, AWD, independent suspension, 1549lbs payload, and a whoping 5000 lbs trailer tow.

Wow, I'm impressed...

~$25,000 could get you a decently loaded Explorer with a V-8, Auto 4x4, and a 7000lb trailer tow, with IRS, and a 1500 lb payload.

$35,000 had better atleast get you a V-8, period.

Ridgelines power plant:

Horsepower: 255 at 5,750 rpm

Torque: 252 pound-feet at 4,500 rpm

What good is this type of Hp and Tq in a 4500lb vehicle???? You'd literally have to floor it to even make a simple pass at highway speeds. These type of numbers are good for a race car ricer type, not a un-aerodyamic box with 4 wheels.

Heck, the Ford 4.2l V-6 has better torque at 260 lb-ft at 3500 rpm, even though it only has 205 hp @ 4350 Rpms.

The Ford 4.0L SOHC v-6 in the Ranger and Explorers has 207 hp @ 5250 rpm, and 238 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

Both motors would run laps around this Ridgeline towing any measurable amount lower than 5K lbs.

I'm sorry, but from my standpoint, Honda really missed the mark on this one. Sure it has nice features and ideas, but it is anemic as all get out, and barely squeaks out better mpg than a better equipped Avalanche or a F150 Supercrew.

my .02

Flame away...

No flames. It will fit the nitch for many buyers. Those who want a truck to haul stuff from Home Depot or the garden center, and or want to tow a pair of jet skis.

Not my cup of tea for sure but I can see why they made it. I am neutral on the traverse engine in a truck and the AWD with no lo range. Most people buying 4wd trucks never use lo range and could care less about the axle configuration and flex. Offroad to them is a dirt road to the lake house.. For those of us who do us lo range regularly I am not worried about a shortage of real transfer cases.

I am not threatened, but intrigued by this new nitch that may take the demand and the inflated prices off of real trucks.

The local newspaper ran a syndicated review of the Ridgeline, and it had a wonderful quote in it that I believe perfectly sums up the Ridgeline: Blue-state pickup.

Well.........just drink more beer. It'll get better looking....promise. I saw a Car and Driver show this weekend on the Honda truck. I thought they said it was only part time 4x4.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I haven't seen a live Ridgeline.

I actually saw a Ridgeline on the road for the first time a few days ago. They don't stand out from traffic the way Avelanches do, thank goodness!

I don't understand how, or where this fills a "nitch"??

The Dakota CC, Supercrew, Sport Trac, Colorado CC, Avalance, and any other crew cab midsize or 1/2 ton can do every thing and more that this Ridgeline is supposed to be just for.

Jet skis, trips to HD, etc, etc, are easily done by any midsize/fullsize CC pickup (with more capacity, I might add), minivan or SUV that's all ready on the market.

I cannot think of one single market that the Ridgeline supposedly fills, that isn't already being filled by the competition.

Well, my thought is just because it's a Honda! A lot of people just like Honda's quality. Remember, were talking American consumerism here, not practicality or common sense. Not meaning to offend anyone out there, more power to the free market system!!!!

Thats why I like my Tacoma. Its got more curves that flow than the newer vehicles. I don't like sharp angles on the wheelwell of some of the newer rides.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 14100
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 94400
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back