Advice on leaking rear differential: 2007 Honda Ridgeline

My rear differential fluid was changed at about 30K, 66K and 103K miles. I did the last change myself, and the outside of the differential was dry. Now after only 1,300 miles I see that both "dust seals" on the driveshaft outputs are seeping and the lower casing is damp, but not dripping when the vehicle sits. BTW it routinely sits garaged in winter storage in NC for each of the past five years. Correct Honda VTM-4 was used and it's not overfilled, so that's not the issue. I read where some Gen 1 Ridgelines have leaking dust seals with even low mileage, but now I try to determine if it's just age related or is it related to my recent fluid change. I have no reason to think the differential breather tubes or breather box are bad. With this age and mileage, I'm inclined to let it ride since the two rear CV driveshafts are still OK. I don't have a repair estimate yet on replacing the dust shields, but I assume it will approach $1,000. Suggestions are welcomed.

Unless you actually checked the breather line, I don't know why you say you have no reason to suspect a blockage.

I would leave it be as long as the diff. oil is not dripping and check the level occasssionally.

The reason I don't suspect a blocked breather tube or breather box is that the vehicle has not been offroad in about 12 years. Also the recent work done by the Honda dealer for the fuel tank corrosion recall did not include this area at the rear of the chassis.

Bump with additional information: My Honda dealer completed a fuel tank/rear frame corrosion factory recall 10 weeks ago. This involved testing, low pressure flushing and waxing of the unibody rear frame and adding new frame supports and fuel tank straps. After driving only 230 miles is when I saw that both of my "dust seals" on the rear differential are leaking. When the recall was performed, there was no mention that my differential was leaking. With 104K miles, this new problem COULD be an unrelated coincidence, or it could be a result of the recent recall service. How can I be sure the dealership didn't pinch or kink my differential breather line and actually cause both seals to leak? And what is the likelihood that both seals would go bad at the same time anyhow? I have some questions for the dealership.

Last edited:
Put your eyes and hands on the breather. There will be less guessing. If the breather is fine, I might pour 1-2 ounces off a seal conditioner (not thickener) into the rear diff. NOT ALOT, just 1-2 oz.

Put your eyes and hands on the breather. There will be less guessing. If the breather is fine, I might pour 1-2 ounces off a seal conditioner (not thickener) into the rear diff. NOT ALOT, just 1-2 oz.
Yes^^^^ probably the breather on the diff.

Got it. Honda dealer appointment on November 7. Already ordered Lubegard Seal Fix and one of Lubegard's technical advisors suggested the same amount (1-2 oz) even though the bottle indicates I could use 4 oz. based on my diff capacity.

Update 11/7/23: Today my Ridgeline was examined by a Honda dealership tech, and allegedly there is nothing damaged, blocked or irregular about the differential breather line. This dealer gave me an outrageous quote of $1,081 to replace the two differential dust seals. This compares to one I got from another Honda dealer in Chesapeake VA for $680. That one was more in line with what I've seen on this forum and elsewhere. If the Honda tech is correct that the breather is OK, I'm thinking the weeping seals may be the victim of the truck being in garaged storage for 5 winter months during each of the past two years while I was in FL. Maybe the seals dried out. Now I plan to add 2 oz. of Lubegard Seal Fix, top it off with the proper VTM-4 fluid and keep an eye on the fluid level. For such a clean, accessorized, low mileage RL, it may be time to consider selling it.

I am guessing they had to drop the rear diff and CV axles to replace the rear frame. Just a guess but I am thinking they may have nicked the seal putting the axles back in. They should be using one of these but hardly anyone does.

protector.jpg

I am guessing they had to drop the rear diff and CV axles to replace the rear frame. Just a guess but I am thinking they may have nicked the seal putting the axles back in. They should be using one of these but hardly anyone does.

View attachment 187371
Thanks, Trav. All of the work done for the fuel tank corrosion recall was done fore of the differential as the fuel tank is under the front of the truck bed and the recessed trunk is behind the differential. The dealer insisted the work was not in the area of the breather line, which wraps to the rear of the truck and terminates high inside the left rear wheel well. This same dealer also suggested a timing belt, water pump and tensioner change for $1,825. Mine only has 31,000 miles since it was done last.

I really think the seals dried out from the truck being in winter storage for 3 consecutive years. Today I found the breather tubing to be solid and intact, I added 2 ounces of Lubegard Seal Fixx, I topped off the diff with VTM-4 fluid and I drove about 150 miles. I'll continue to monitor the leak and the fluid level. I visited Priority Honda in Chesapeake, VA today, and their written estimate to replace both differential dust seals was $578, compared to Hall Honda's $1,081. Some difference!

Did you visually look into the venting tube? Sure some insect didn’t make a nest or plug the line?
The Honda system is almost a closed system with the breather box mounted high between the left rear fender and the truck bed. It's quite concealed and I didn't take the bed wall apart to see the terminated end. I followed the tubing as far as I could visually and I physically felt it to make sure it wasn't collapsed or dry rotted. It was the best I could do. It could have a spider nest or rodent damage, but I'll never know. I'll see how the Lubegard Seal Fixx does.

Back