Single cylinder versus twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they combined the primary inside the transmission case. I always assumed it was to minimize size and weight.

Did I misunderstand this question?

I haven't got to the point of misunderstanding yet, still trying to link the heading with the content.

So the oil that bathes the 5-spd transmission also bathes the primary chain. And the primary chain connects the crankshaft to the transmission input shaft?

What is wrong with the heading/thread title?

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Because they combined the primary inside the transmission case. I always assumed it was to minimize size and weight.

Educate yourself about grammar, and you will use fewer instead of less in your tag line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Educate yourself about grammar, and you will use fewer instead of less in your tag line.

Wow, the relevance of this post is just......oh wait, it's pointless.

That may just be the most anal grammar Nazi post I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies.

Oh and by the way, you are either wrong or it is arbitrary. I would not classify questions and answers as tangible objects which makes less the correct word to use. If you do see them as tangible, countable things then your point is valid, though still utterly pointless and a waste of my time to address any further.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
So the oil that bathes the 5-spd transmission also bathes the primary chain. And the primary chain connects the crankshaft to the transmission input shaft?

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to point out if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have the basic's correct there.

One last thing because I found it funny when I noticed it. If you are going to attempt to criticize my signature, you should probably make sure yours is OK first. If you abbreviate years, there should be an apostrophe before the numbers, and SAE viscosities should have a hyphen between with winter grade and regular grade.

Care to nitpick about useless topics any further?

Wow, the relevance of this post is just......oh wait, it's pointless.

That may just be the most anal grammar Nazi post I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies.

No, the issue here is the person who tells other people to educate themselves.

And then is dumb enough to include his grammatical ignorance as his signature.

I find the hypocrisy more amusing than the ignorance...but you, sir, display both.

One last thing because I found it funny when I noticed it. If you are going to attempt to criticize my signature, you should probably make sure yours is OK first. If you abbreviate years, there should be an apostrophe before the numbers, and SAE viscosities should have a hyphen between with winter grade and regular grade.

Care to nitpick about useless topics any further?

I'm limited to 150 characters, which I used to describe my cars.

There wasn't room for your choice of abbreviation.

But that doesn't change your need for education.

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to point out if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have the basic's correct there.

Ugh...more demonstration of your need to educate yourself.

Start with how apostrophes should be used...

You can search through my posts, I don't pick on other posters' grammar. But they don't tell everyone else to get educated, while simultaneously demonstrating their own ignorance.

Your hypocrisy caught my eye.

You live in a glass house, you shouldn't be throwing stones.

Last edited:

That is an interesting thing to say considering the fact that I did not cast the first stone here and just merely threw your own inane ramblings back to where they originated.

As far as I can tell, I pointed out the fallacies in your argument and your response is a childlike hissy fit ignoring what I said and just throwing insults. You were wrong about the usage of the words less and fewer, and your signature is incorrect regardless of whether you were trying to fit it into the character limit or not. That is basically the entire meaning of the "glass house" saying.

I'll just go ahead and name myself the victor here and not bother checking back in. Good day sir and I hope to never encounter you again so as to avoid more pointless wastes of my time.

Last edited:

That is an interesting thing to say considering the fact that I did not cast the first stone here and just merely threw your own inane ramblings back to where they originated.

As far as I can tell, I pointed out the fallacies in your argument and your response is a childlike hissy fit ignoring what I said and just throwing insults. You were wrong about the usage of the words less and fewer, and your signature is incorrect regardless of whether you were trying to fit it into the character limit or not. That is basically the entire meaning of the "glass house" saying.

I'll just go ahead and name myself the victor here and not bother checking back in. Good day sir and I hope to never encounter you again so as to avoid more pointless wastes of my time.

Your signature is gramatically incorrect.

So, you tell people to educate themselves with a gramatically incorrect post. You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

Then you used an apostrophe for the plural of a noun. That's also wrong.

I don't have time to teach you everything you should have learned by sixth grade English, and I don't care what you think of the abbreviation in my signature. Anyone, well...except you, can tell that's just abbreviation.

Your argument about the definite quantity shows that at least you've looked up the usage, but your signature is still wrong. You won't change it now, of course, to do so would be to admit your error.

So, I look forward to seeing your mistake every time you post. It makes me laugh.

Single cylinder versus twin is the title, and you are talking about combined or seperate engine trans and gearbox oils. Where is the connection?

need less answerage .......
cool.gif

I am wondering why a 500cc H-D only has two holes and a proper V-twin has the engine, primary, and transmission.

Ever look at a Sportster? Only two holes there for primary/trans and engine. Also, who says you need to have three holes and non unit construction to be a "proper" V twin? Harley did not invent the V twin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I am wondering why a 500cc H-D only has two holes and a proper V-twin has the engine, primary, and transmission.

Ever look at a Sportster? Only two holes there for primary/trans and engine. Also, who says you need to have three holes and non unit construction to be a "proper" V twin? Harley did not invent the V twin.

Yes, there are several single hole V-Twins on the market too.
I re-read this several times to make sure there were no grammar errors. I think I'm OK?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back