11 Toyota Venza V6, dealer bulk, 5W30 4700mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got my oil report back from Blackstone on my 2011 Toyota Venza. I sent in my sample the first week of January and then checked on the USPS tracking of the oil sample about 3 weeks later since I didn't see anything from Blackstone. Not the fault of Blackstone, the tracking showed it never left the post office where I dropped it off! After calling, and of course nobody knows what happened, it finally showed up on the tracking that it just arrived at the end of the 3rd week (coincidentally, a day after I called the PO). Anyways, enough ranting of the PO.

This is the 2GR-FE V6 running whatever the dealer bulk oil is. I was told it was Valvoline, but from looking at the add pack, I'm not so sure. I always thought Valvoline had higher sodium. Maybe that's only in the synthetic version. I'm pretty sure this is dino. Any guesses here? Either way, the result was good other than being a little on the thin side. Later models with the 2GR-FE use 0W-20, perhaps there's some 0W-20 mixed in?

11-VENZA-123015.jpg

Great report - oil had plenty of life left.(just in case you have to extend OCI in the future) The 3.5 is really easy on oil and the large sump doesn't hurt. Thanks for posting.

How do you like your Venza? Seems like a roomy, reliable crossover, looks good, but how does it handle? Steering? I can't believe Toyota discontinued it.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
This is the 2GR-FE V6 running whatever the dealer bulk oil is.
I think the bulk oil tank had the molybdenum settle out, because no oil I've ever seen uses moly at 15 ppm, it's usually around 70 ppm, if there at all, due to getting the full reduced-friction benefit from it at 70 ppm. I read a tech paper on that once. That oil probably can't pass Sequence VID, unless they put the visc on the low end to compensate for the low moly FM. (Your ZDDP didn't settle out though, giving you great wear control.)
I was told it was Valvoline, but from looking at the add pack, I'm not so sure. I always thought Valvoline had higher sodium. Maybe that's only in the synthetic version. I'm pretty sure this is dino. Any guesses here?
You're right, all Valvoline, dino & synth alike, uses a lot of sodium. Your oil used a typical moly-boron FM/AW package, which means not much clue who supplied it, maybe custom oil for Toyota bulk.

Even though your wear numbers are good, I'd switch to a full synthetic to keep piston deposits down, and you deserve the full moly (or heavy sodium) treatment, maybe with some esters thrown in, to reduce friction and get better GF-5 fuel economy.

What oil filter did you run? Your insolubles were at the coveted 0.1 level.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
How do you like your Venza? Seems like a roomy, reliable crossover, looks good, but how does it handle? Steering? I can't believe Toyota discontinued it.

Yeah I like it. Basically the requirements were to fit the large stroller in the trunk with space left over, AWD, enough power to make it reasonably quick, and look decent. The steering is EPS which feels a little video game like at times, but I don't have high expectations for steering feel for this type of vehicle. The biggest gripe is the Rubbermaid interior. Lots of low rent hard plastic on the doors and lower part of the dash. I used to have a nice interior Audi A4, but it nickel and dimed me to death in its later years and I wanted something reliable and lower cost to operate. As for Toyota dumping it, I think most folks swing for the Highlander since it's similar cost and seats 7.

This is the 2GR-FE V6 running whatever the dealer bulk oil is.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
I think the bulk oil tank had the molybdenum settle out, because no oil I've ever seen uses moly at 15 ppm, it's usually around 70 ppm, if there at all, due to getting the full reduced-friction benefit from it at 70 ppm. I read a tech paper on that once. That oil probably can't pass Sequence VID, unless they put the visc on the low end to compensate for the low moly FM. (Your ZDDP didn't settle out though, giving you great wear control.)
I was told it was Valvoline, but from looking at the add pack, I'm not so sure. I always thought Valvoline had higher sodium. Maybe that's only in the synthetic version. I'm pretty sure this is dino. Any guesses here?
You're right, all Valvoline, dino & synth alike, uses a lot of sodium. Your oil used a typical moly-boron FM/AW package, which means not much clue who supplied it, maybe custom oil for Toyota bulk.

Even though your wear numbers are good, I'd switch to a full synthetic to keep piston deposits down, and you deserve the full moly (or heavy sodium) treatment, maybe with some esters thrown in, to reduce friction and get better GF-5 fuel economy.

What oil filter did you run? Your insolubles were at the coveted 0.1 level.

It should be a Toyota genuine filter since the dealer changed the oil.

Before someone asks why only 4700 miles? I going by the recommended 5k OCIs until the powertrain warranty runs out. After that, I'll probably consider changing it myself, running synthetic and slowly extending it out. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

It should be a Toyota genuine filter since the dealer changed the oil.

LMAO that's a good one. Most dealers use whatever is cheapest. My local toyota uses O'reilly filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back