Is 89 octane gas obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

Every station I'm aware of in the U.S. uses independent tanks for their 3 grades, you can count the caps in the parking lot.

Three underground tanks (Reg, Mid, Prem) are a rarity these days. If the dispensers are single hose vs 3 hoses, then it a blender. Look at the fill caps. If you see a blue colored cap, that's a Mid-grade tank.
89 octane unleaded was brought out as a replacement for regular leaded gas.

We have it all in my area... 87, 89, 91, and 93, readily available at many locations in the towns surrounding me. The new E15 that showed up about a year ago is 88. All they need now is a 90 and 92 to round things out.

Since octane ratings are different from region to region (Alaska has different octane ratings on their pump than Florida),
I suppose you mean to say if "Mid grade fuel" is getting obsolete?

Some aircooled motorcycles that are made to run on 87oct (regular), may generate additional heat (ping), at extreme hot outside temperatures (over 100F).
In that case it's wise to switch over to 89oct.
Gas mileage (MPG) could tell you what your bike likes best.
Sometimes (especially fuel injected bikes), the best is a blend of regular and premium (aka Mid grade).

It's like getting a tad more performance out of your car, without paying the premium for it.
I use mid-grade in summer. The rest of the year, I use regular.
My Honda Rebel uses regular.
After the mods I did to it, it doesn't need mid grade anymore :)

The range of octane ratings in your area is generally altitude dependent with higher altitudes having lower overall octane ranges. You can research that through web search if you like.

This is the way the Costco gas stations do it and it seems like a way to reduce costs. I doubt if there is enough difference between 87 and 89 to make much difference.
However, my 2011 F150 Ecoboost could run on 87 but premium as well as Top Tier was recommended. I was running Gulf 87 in the winter and was dismayed by my fuel mileage dropping from 20 to 16 with the cold weather. I got a deal from Mobil for a .25/gallon discount and switched to Mobil 93. My fuel mileage improved by 1.5 the first tank and stayed 18-19 mpg for the rest of the winter. I never went back to 87 after that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
My 5.7 Hemi in my truck says the same. I just put in 87 & call it a day. It does not ping at all.

Well it shouldn't, the knock sensors will cause the timing to be retarded enough to prevent it.

Knock sensors does wonders. The gasoline sold here has 27% of ethanol, so almost every car made here have a high compression ratio. We had a 2005 Ford Fiesta with a compression ratio of 12,8:1 and I never had experienced any knock, not even when I traveled to Argentina, where there's no alcohol on gasoline. The engine response wasn't so "snappy" as usual, but there weren't no knocks either.

My 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 has an ever so light pinging in the cold temps when using 87 octane fuel, at light throttle only. Around me 89 octane fuel now costs $0.30 to $0.40 more per gallon over 87 octane fuel. It's not worth it. Ford even says that some light pinging, not heavy knocking, is ok.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back