Coolant Temperature Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright Guys, this is interesting its cold here in NY and when i get in the car it hasn't been warming up properly it goes up and down it goes from below half way (normal operating temperature) and then it goes back up? then i got in the car one day bone chilling cold outside and abnormally the gauge shot up to showing to be warmed up when the car has been idling a minute. Hoses are hot, Radiator Cap is hot, not OVERHEATING i think it could be the coolant temperature sensor because the thermostat opens the hoses are hot IDK guys any ideas? Probably going to bring it to the dealership. the car has 2,400 miles on it and its the 2.0 liter turbo

I would certainly bring it to a dealer. In many newer vehicles the information for the gauges comes from the ECM.

The OBDII can show temp if you have a OBDII tool.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would certainly bring it to a dealer. In many newer vehicles the information for the gauges comes from the ECM.

Im bringing it to the dealer tommorow, whats is [censored] is that they want a 129 dollars for adiagnostic fee if they cant replicate it ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: Grambo

Im bringing it to the dealer tommorow, whats is [censored] is that they want a 129 dollars for adiagnostic fee if they cant replicate it ridiculous!

I got into a heated discussion with a Toyota dealer about that diagnostic fee. It's like they wanted me to pay for their incompetence. They said too many people bring in their cars and they can't find anything wrong with them.

I'd tell the dealer the exact conditions that will recreate the problem. That might mean leaving the car with them overnight so it's cold when they go to recreate the problem.

A lot of times the SA just rattles off his script of diag fee this much, this thing that much, blah blah. When you go in it'll be obvious you're still under the bumper-to-bumper and the cost should be zilch.

Last edited:
Alright Guys, this is interesting its cold here in NY and when i get in the car it hasn't been warming up properly it goes up and down it goes from below half way (normal operating temperature) and then it goes back up? then i got in the car one day bone chilling cold outside and abnormally the gauge shot up to showing to be warmed up when the car has been idling a minute. Hoses are hot, Radiator Cap is hot, not OVERHEATING i think it could be the coolant temperature sensor because the thermostat opens the hoses are hot IDK guys any ideas? Probably going to bring it to the dealership. the car has 2,400 miles on it and its the 2.0 liter turbo

It could be normal. The car is new to you also, is it your first winter?

Picture the car at -10F from sitting outside all night. Start, the coolant in the block gets hot, the thermostat opens and the -10F coolant goes into the block and your temp indication goes down.

On the next cycle, the coolant entering the block is warmer, say 20F, so less of a fluctuation.

So if it is normal after a 1/2 hour of driving, no worries chalk it up to extremely cold temps.

Last edited:
its probably because U are running 5w40 in the winter.......
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

how much the the gauge actually change when it jumps?

no way in [censored] i would pay the diag fee. Its a brand new car with a bumper 2 bumper warranty.

When it is really cold the engine may not heat up as fast or may not heat up as much. It Couldn't hurt to get it checked.

Originally Posted By: CT8
When it is really cold the engine may not heat up as fast or may not heat up as much. It Couldn't hurt to get it checked.

I brought it to the dealership this morning and turns out the coolant temperature sensor is bad they ordered it for me and its under warranty no CHARGE! no diagnostic fees , should be coming by the end of the week and they put it in next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back