Odometers that stop counting at 300K

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably embedded in the LCD that records the numbers. Could also be a memory limitation.

Instead of 888888, it probably has a88888. The top left line of the first digit is missing. I hope this makes sense.

lcd_zpsaae9506e.png

But the stupid thing is that it just stays at 299999, rather than rolling over to zero, or 100000 or 200000 (some early Ford digital odometers rolled back to 100000 after 199999, for example)

Is there a way to install the missing segment?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's probably embedded in the LCD that records the numbers. Could also be a memory limitation.

Instead of 888888, it probably has a88888. The top left line of the first digit is missing. I hope this makes sense.

lcd_zpsaae9506e.png

But the stupid thing is that it just stays at 299999, rather than rolling over to zero, or 100000 or 200000 (some early Ford digital odometers rolled back to 100000 after 199999, for example)

Not without replacing the complete display(likely not available & would require soldering), then there is no guarantee that display would show correctly...

Typical Toyota cost cutting.

Do what the used car lots do, roll it back to zero, drive it another 80k or so and sell it as a low mileage used car.

lcd_zpsaae9506e.png

Even if the first segment was an a, it should still roll to a 3. The first number it'd fail to correctly display would be 4, right?

My s2000 trip odometer rolls over after 999.9 miles. Drives me nuts because I can't track how many miles I've driven after an oil change.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Put an hours meter (with a replaceable battery) on it.
Guesstimate 1 hour is 33 driven miles.

Then, make blanket statement that only luddites and philistines maintain their vehicles by miles driven.

My car averages 22-26 miles per hour.

What are the ones in aviation where they turn faster at higher rpms?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Get a junk yard instrument cluster, if it's at say 180k and yours hit 300k, you can keep track from there on. They're pretty easy to replace.

Then what is the point? All of this sophisticated technology to prevent rollbacks....and all you have to do is spend a few bucks at the junkyard?

I consider it a win to b'beat' the odometer!

Pop a top!

lcd_zpsaae9506e.png

Let us all freak out now like when gas hit $2.00!!!

Those sign makers got some overtime. The Y2K bug of BITOG!

Originally Posted By: grampi
If the trip meter still works, then never mind...I just need to keep track of the miles for my oil changes...

Maybe take an average of your mileage over the past 3 years and switch to Mobil1EP 5w30 and a Fram premium filter and just approximate 10k changes.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Clever marketing by Toyota. If you want to hit 500k and brag about it you need something pricier, like a Camry.
One of mine's at 335K.

In older Volkswagens, the engine control module keeps going indefinitely (or so I've heard). It records the actual distance, in kilometers. The instrument cluster converts from kilometers to miles, but it cannot convert from numbers greater than 999,999 kilometers. So the maximum odometer reading is about 621,000 miles, after which it just stops (or maybe it just shows ---,---).

I have heard that the cluster can be rolled back, even while the ECM continues to show the actual distance. I will need to do this, if it is possible, in another 45,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I have a Vibe with 235k miles on it. Will find out in a few years
cool.gif

Ya, the fact that most of these cars will easily last long enough to see that dreaded 299,999 is more the story in my book.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back