Brake kit recommendation for 2004 Tacoma 2WD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a basic 2004 Tacoma 2WD X-tra cab that I need to replace the pads and rotors on. The truck is my daily driver which is driven very easily and I never tow anything. I have appx. 163,000 miles on the truck and it runs like a top!

Based on my part number, it seems like my OEM rotors were made by Brembo - http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/4351204010

The price seems pretty good, but I need pads as well. Does anyone have a recommendation for pads and/or a recommendation for a "kit" they like that has both the pads and rotors?

Also, I see my truck has both inner and outer bearings. When you remove the rotor, you just give it a quick tug (with the bearing nut in place) which pops the inner bearing seal cover off as well. Is it possible to re-use the bearing seal or is that a bad idea, and I should just replace the seal?

Ed

Go OEM on the pads, and have a good machine shop turn the rotors.

I tried Duralast Gold pads and rotors on my Taco, and the rotors warped in a few months under light use.

You won't find a set of pads that outlast the Toyota. They usually last well over 100K.

My rotors have holes for popping them off - you screw in a bolt on either side and it pops the rotor off. I would not want rotors that didn't have that feature. Eliminates the struggle of removing rotors that have corroded on.

You might be OK re-using the seal, but better safe than sorry.

I'm O.K. with turning the rotors, but the repair shop that did the last brake job *says* they're too thin to be turned again...but I'd like to, somehow, verify that.

:)

Interestingly enough, I have less than 10,000 miles on the truck since their brake job which they had "turned" the rotors (they did not replace them)...and my brake pad wear indicators are starting to touch the rotor (and squeal, of course). Upon inspection, they're saying that I now need to replace the rotors and pads. I'm a little suspicious with so little mileage and such light driving.

Ed

The rotors will have a minimum thickness indicated on the outside edge. Just run a measurement caliper against the rotor and verify yourself.

I suggest OE rotors, pads (not the TCMC ones) and shim kit. I get a pretty good price on OE from the dealer thru my wholesale account, so my pricing on OE often comes very close to aftermarket. Depending on the budget, I sometimes use Centric 120 or 125 for rotors if I have to, but for pads and hardware, I almost always go OE.

On your truck, the part numbers depending on the VIN. But the pads run about $70, shim kit is about $40, and rotors are $50-60/ea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I suggest OE rotors, pads (not the TCMC ones) and shim kit. I get a pretty good price on OE from the dealer thru my wholesale account, so my pricing on OE often comes very close to aftermarket. Depending on the budget, I sometimes use Centric 120 or 125 for rotors if I have to, but for pads and hardware, I almost always go OE.

On your truck, the part numbers depending on the VIN. But the pads run about $70, shim kit is about $40, and rotors are $50-60/ea.

Thank you!

What's a "shim kit"?

Ed

I've been very happy with NAPA's Premium semi-metallic pads on my Dodge 2500. Stopping is pretty important to me, especially when I have my fully loaded camper on board.

If you like the truck ToyotatNation.com has a lot of info on which larger rotors and calipers in the Toyota parts inventory will fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back