Wix oil fi!ter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
im way off from my oil change say 3.5K and i have a FRAM XG with some PP 0w20 in the car now. to me the fram XG is a waste sine i dont use it twice (under warranty).i was thinking next OC i would run mobil1 AFE 0w20 or mobil1 EP 0w20 with a wix filter. there is 2 diff kinds a white one and a black one. how are they different?

I'm unfamiliar with WIX, they're not easily available in my area.

I would switch to a FRAM Tough Guard. 99% effeciency @ 20 microns (like the Ultra), & built for up to 10,000 miles. I've recently started switching from Ultras to Tough Guards since I don't typically run oil changes past 10,000.

the OLM will prob go off around 5k this OC because of the cold weather. normally its 6-7k in the summer months.

The standard Wix filter is 95% efficient at 20 microns with cellulose/glass fiber blended media. It's a good middle of the road filter, it's comparable to the Fram Extra Guard which is also 95% efficient at 20 microns.

The Fram Ultra is 99.9% @ 20 microns with wire backed dual layers of full synthetic microglass media. It has the highest holding capacity of any filter on the market up to 32 grams which is why it's rated for at least 15,000 miles. It would be somewhat of a waste to run it one OCI on your car.

The Fram Tough guard is 99% efficient @ 20 microns, and uses high ratio blended media with glass fibers and cellulose. It's a very good filter for pairing with your interval and is superior to the Wix if you ask me, as well as having a higher efficiency. The tough guard i used last time produced a very low 0.1% inconsolable rating on my UOA and my engine produces a lot of contamination.

Branson has good advice.

In Chicago oreillys is the only place that carries wix filters. They are 7.99.
Fram ultra is 8.97
Wix is overpriced around here

Napa silver is a good cheap filter also

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The correct WIX filter for your 2015 Chevy Malibu is the 57060.

The 57060XP is also available for extended miles.

I can not recommend the Wix XP filters since they are only 50% efficient at 20 microns, among the worst in the industry.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I'm unfamiliar with WIX, they're not easily available in my area.

I would switch to a FRAM Tough Guard. 99% effeciency @ 20 microns (like the Ultra), & built for up to 10,000 miles. I've recently started switching from Ultras to Tough Guards since I don't typically run oil changes past 10,000.

THIS

Started using the TGs in vehicles where the XG would be overkill for the interval.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I can not recommend the Wix XP filters since they are only 50% efficient at 20 microns, among the worst in the industry.

I'm not recommending it. Just telling the OP what's available.

Personally, I think choosing the wrong oil can do more damage than a WIX XP.

I'm not recommending it. Just telling the OP what's available.

Personally, I think choosing the wrong oil can do more damage than a WIX XP.

Well he asked about the filter and it's in the filter section.

Well he asked about the filter and it's in the filter section.

If I had a brand new 2015 car, I think I'd go ahead and change the XG at the recommended interval even though it's probably less than 15,000 miles. I figure I'd run the filter two intervals when the car gets out of warranty.

Tough guard sounds better than the wix i guess. Plus i get my oil at Walmart so i can keep the oil and filter on the same receipt for my records.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Tough guard sounds better than the wix i guess.

I don't think any filter using cardboard end caps is better than a WIX.

The Fram XG is the only Fram I'll use for that reason.

The Fram Ultra is 99.9% @ 20 microns with wire backed dual layers of full synthetic microglass media. It has the highest holding capacity of any filter on the market up to 32 grams which is why it's rated for at least 15,000 miles.
because of this, I run the Fram Ultra for 30,000 on all my rebuilt 1zz-fe motors, they are even cleaner then how much we could clean them. Valve clearance is verified after 10k on break-in oil, yes all break-in oils are synthetics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Tough guard sounds better than the wix i guess.

I don't think any filter using cardboard end caps is better than a WIX.

The Fram XG is the only Fram I'll use for that reason.

Fiber end disc phobia; typical.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If you're talking about generic Wix filters, some happen to be white, most happen to be black. That's just the way it is.

Yes sir, you are correct. It's all there in black and white. Plain and simple. Not open for interpretation.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Branson has good advice.

In Chicago oreillys is the only place that carries wix filters. They are 7.99.
Fram ultra is 8.97
Wix is overpriced around here

Napa silver is a good cheap filter also

Same thing here as well. The only place that sells them is O'Reilly and they're $8. Anytime I've asked to see one for my car,they look like they've been long forgotten beneath the dust and cobwebs of their stock room for decades. No thanks! If Walmart started carrying them I'd use them all the time.

Seems there is a worry about a couple dollars for a filter whose abilities aren't needed yet a few extra dollars are being spent on an oil whose abilities aren't needed. What a world.

901Memphis said:
The standard Wix filter is 95% efficient at 20 microns with cellulose/glass fiber blended media. It's a good middle of the road filter, it's comparable to the Fram Extra Guard which is also 95% efficient at 20 microns.

The 95% efficiency at 20 microns for a 'standard Wix filter' that you quote is referring to the same Wix filter that is sold as the Napa Gold?...or is it the Napa Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back