Experience with General G-MAX AS-03 tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter weather may be a challenge with General's and I'd personally skip. Those Ultra high performace all-seasons tend to be useless/hockey pucks in winter traction. Just sketchy.

I finally grew up and realized I don't need ultra high performance tires and happy with the grand touring all-seasons/high performance all-seasons category which seems to offer much better winter traction, comfortable ride and enough performance.

I have Pirelli: Cinturato P7 All Season Plus I was able to install for $700 on sale at chain called Sullivan. Winter traction is decent but moreover the tires are predictable.

What about this one?

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology
It is listed as Grand Touring All Season

i don't think you can go wrong with any Conti tire, I had Conti on my old Expedition and was impressed with them. they outlived the Michelin on the Denali by a long shot and rode just as well.

I just put some Pirelli P7 All Season Plus on a car and i have to tell you they ride and perform as good or better any Michelin or Conti all season for less wood.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What about this one?

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology
It is listed as Grand Touring All Season

Those are what I have on my Volvo T5. They're a good tire. Excellent grip for a GT (vs. UHP) tire in the dry and wet. Low noise. Reasonably smooth ride in a 235/45R17 size.

They did reasonably well (though not nearly as good as true winter tires) in snow and ice.

The car is in Colorado. Denver metro area...so, it's seen some snow this year...

Last edited:
I bought a set of four General G-MAX AS03 tires size 215/55R16. Worst decision ever!!! These tires cannot be balanced, they vibrate the steering wheel at speeds above 50 MPH. I had them balanced and rebalanced, no help. Found a specialty shop with the Road Force 9700 balancer, paid $100 to remount, rebalance and diagnose them. Two came out as OK ... put them on car, shaking was less pronounced but still unacceptable to me. The other 2 tires were declared as "junk" by the tech...out of round, cannot be balanced.

My rims are perfect as confirmed by the Road Force machine. I had zero balancing problems with my previous tires, the Kumho ASX.

Not sure what I'll do with them. Bought them from discounttiredirect. The General warranty says they will replace them but after this nightmare I have zero confidence in General brand tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProbeGT
I bought a set of four General G-MAX AS03 tires size 215/55R16. Worst decision ever!!! These tires cannot be balanced, they vibrate the steering wheel at speeds above 50 MPH. I had them balanced and rebalanced, no help. Found a specialty shop with the Road Force 9700 balancer, paid $100 to remount, rebalance and diagnose them. Two came out as OK ... put them on car, shaking was less pronounced but still unacceptable to me. The other 2 tires were declared as "junk" by the tech...out of round, cannot be balanced.

My rims are perfect as confirmed by the Road Force machine. I had zero balancing problems with my previous tires, the Kumho ASX.

Not sure what I'll do with them. Bought them from discounttiredirect. The General warranty says they will replace them but after this nightmare I have zero confidence in General brand tires.

So General makes a tire that isn't amazing?
27.gif

Reading some of the comments here regarding the topic'd General, doesn't 'seem' like they are in the same class as the Gen Altimax HP's and current RT43's both of which I have experience.

HP's were great and even though a directional tire, I got great tread wear. Current RT43 215/50-17 V rated doing very well on an 3.0L Accord. And both tires are solid values imo.

As for Conti DWS experience on same Accord, not very good. Flat spotting vibration drove me nuts, never experienced anything like it. Tried to get used to it, but too much. Great thing about buying from Discount Tire, returned them under DT 30 day ride guarantee, no questions asked, ez peazy.

That said, others found the DWS to be quite good and had some good reviews. So perhaps the G-Max is similar depending on size and application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back